1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Wireless tethering stops working while moving (train, car ect)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by five5, Jul 7, 2010.

1. five5

five5 New Member

ok while traveling i tether my droid to my ipad and it is blazing fast, but sometimes the internet just drops and the meeter doesn't move from 0.0kbs, even if i get out and in a spot that has good reception it does not repick up the signal. I never experience this if i am in one place, just when i move and hit a dead spot. but what im confused about is that the ipad is still connected to andriod tether but it wont start loading again. When i had a miwi i never experienced this problem so i know it's not the ipad.

Please dont bash me for having an ipad, if i didn't need it for work i would never have gotten in. and from what ive seen my moto droid is faster than the ipad, and of course the droid OS ****s on the ipad os.

Im currently using "wireless tether" dancedroid
  2. sic0048

sic0048 New Member

So you are loading data onto the iPad and then hit a dead spot in data service with the Droid. When the data service comes back on the Droid, the iPad doesn't seem to continue loading whatever it was before, is that correct?

What does it take to get the data flowing again on the iPad? It seems like it times out and doesn't continue to try to load anything (perhaps to save battery power). But that is just a guess.

Have you tried it with any other device? Perhaps a laptop. Just to see if the symptoms remain the same.
  3. five5

five5 New Member

Yup you got it except for one thing. It's not that it just doesn't try to continue loading, i could tried opening other apps apps, open a new tab and try loading a new page and get nothing. I have to turn wifi off, turn wifi on and reconnect to get it to work again.

Not really practical for me to drag my laptop when im on the road but i might have to give that a shot to see if thats the case, although i dont think thats the case because im still connected, and closing and open safari at most should do the job, but only turning wifi off and on work, and is a real PITA

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling wif tether also, no go.
  4. five5

five5 New Member

tested w/ the laptop today, same exact thing, it has to be the tethering.

The ipad is out of the equation, i repeat the ipad is out of the equation ;)
  5. Larkitect

Larkitect New Member

obviously you're travelling too close to the speed of light. :p

have you tried a different ROM or kernel? i've not had a single problem tethering the droid to my ipad. i've used 2.1 and 2.2 from chevy and pete and 2.2 kangerade. with the default kernels and the p3 kernels.
  6. A.Brooks

A.Brooks New Member

Let me just clarify for everyone out there, NO ONE, repeat NO ONE "NEEDS" an iPad, for ANYTHING.

That being said it seems to me like if you just reset the tether it would be okay. I know it sucks to have to do that, but if you'll either restart the tether or break the connection to get a new one it may work. May be a ROM issue, and it may be something that's just a glitch specific to your install for whatever reason. I would say test it by uninstall and re-install, then use the iPad as a coaster for your nice pretty new Netbook that actually has some functionality, and see if it has an issue. If so, then wipe twice, refresh ROM, either a new ROM or update the current.
  7. s3t0

s3t0 New Member

try charging the phone if you can while moving, or using the cable to do wired tether to the ipad, does that thing even have a usb port on it ? :greendroid:
  8. jason6g

jason6g New Member

sometimes when 3g is lost, it takes quite a bit to re-capture the 3g data connection/stream. this is further hindered when something is constantly trying to access the stream (wifi tethering, browser, etc)

ive noticed that when im losing data connection, if i restart whatever im using, all is well.

i know its a pain with wifi tether, but its probably faster to restart the tethering than to wait for it to re-capture 3g
Search tags for this page
android tether while moving
car tethering phone

tether while moving

tethering issues in car
tethering not working in a car