1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Wireless Tether???

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by godfish, Aug 10, 2010.

1. godfish

godfish New Member

Has anyone found a fix for the Wireless Tether? it's still not working on my phone and when I tryied to go back to 4.5 ss and it's still messed up?? so what ever it is it stayed with my phone even wiping and flashing 3 times??
  2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

3. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Also - 'not working' is not nearly descriptive enough for me to help you. What does 'messed up' mean?
  4. syst3merror

syst3merror New Member

I'm running 4.6 with the 1.0 ulv kernal and it runs flawlessly for me....no FCs or nothing.
  5. godfish

godfish New Member

I would love help if anyone knows how it can be fixed?

Ok. 1 when I start tether my laptop or anything else can't connect to the phone or I get a bad ip address, I have to restart tether over and over till it will give out a good ip address.

2. After I get connected after about 3 mins I lose the 3G icon on the phone and it breaks my download... The laptop stays connected.. But it slows everything down, the icon comes back after about 30 seconds.

I saw that the tether app was not included because of "technical" reasons? But I don't know what those are? I was hoping to get tether working again because I'm leaving the on vacation and was hoping on using it? But going back to 4.5 didn't help and I had all of the same issues.

So I went back to 4.6 and didn't do a restore on my settings and apps this time, after getting done manually I still have all of the same issues?

It's kind of funny, everything was perfect in 4.5 but after 4.6 I'm pulling my hair out. Everything else is perfect and FAST! :icon_ banana:

And I do have the newest version of wireless tether, is there another app I could try.
  6. crimsonblake

crimsonblake New Member

My co-worker and I are having the same problem with the device losing it's 3g connectivity. He has an Incredible and I have a Mota Droid. We both have been having our 3g connectivity drop. I've tried Cyanogen 6.0 v2 and Bugless .04 with 2 different kernals from Chevy and nothing has remedied the problem. It's very frustrating....
  7. soatari

soatari New Member

I believe this to be entirely on Verizon's end. This didn't start until Froyo started to spread around the internet. All was working just fine just about until the official Froyo started rolling out, and then 3g connectivity just started to die while tethering. I think this is them actively killing unofficial tethering.

The only tethering app that works for me is PDANet, and I believe that only works because Verizon can't tell if you're tethering or using your phone because of the way PDANet works.
  8. BayouFlyFisher

Man!!! Do I feel special. Verizon's letting me use WiFi Tether!!

It works perfectly on my phone with Sapphire 1.1 and Wifi Tether for Rooted Users (205'Pre8 Verison) Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code
  9. soatari

soatari New Member

That is one of the exact configurations I have used that DOESN'T work (with the tethering app being quite literally the only app installed). It's obvious that this problem isn't widespread, but I have certainly noticed an increase in people reporting it over the last month.

I have tried four different ROMs with at least eight different kernels. I have also tried four different tethering apps, ranging from wireless to USB to bluetooth. The only one so far that works is PDANet and like I said, I only believe that works because it essentially masks the tethering (not an intended feature, but a side effect of the way it works)
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  10. BayouFlyFisher

Did you try versions other than the pre8? Back a couple (2-3) months ago, my phone would not run the three or four most current versions. I had to run one of the older versions to get tethering to work at all. Since then however the most current versions have worked for me.
  11. soatari

soatari New Member

I've tried version 2.0 (bluetooth only, as the wifi mode no longer works on that version) all the way up to pre8. Also tried all the wired tether versions. On each of those, it can't stay connected much longer than 10mb (I think the longest so far has been 18mb) before the 3g cuts out. Ditto for Barnacle. With PDANet I can stay connected all day and not lose 3g.

I tested them by loading a youtube video (best way to test the load without actually downloading a file). And to make sure it wasn't related to youtube, I loaded up youtube in my phone's browser and let it download a couple of videos. No 3g problems. Same thing with PDANet, no problems.

It is something related to the direct tethering methods.
  12. azpilot

azpilot New Member

My brother and I used wireless tether from the marketplace last weekend while in San Diego, it worked for hours flawlessly on the SS 4.7 rom
  13. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

I haven't had any problems, but then again I haven't tested it under every circumstance either.