Wireless tether?

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Anyone know what will do wireless tether to my rooted nook color? I downloaded Wifi tether, but that doesnt seem to be working. On my D1 I used to use Wireless tether.

TuxDude

Reaction score
The Android Wifi tether app Beta 9 - works really good (with those mentioned bugs - but I'm not concerned about those measured/tracked statistics).... Now I can hook up my Xoom to my Nexus on-the-go :)

Reaction score
The Android Wifi tether app Beta 9 - works really good (with those mentioned bugs - but I'm not concerned about those measured/tracked statistics).... Now I can hook up my Xoom to my Nexus on-the-go :)
The newest version supposedly got rid of the statistics bug. I haven't looked at that yet but the tethering itself definitely works.

TuxDude

Reaction score
The newest version supposedly got rid of the statistics bug. I haven't looked at that yet but the tethering itself definitely works.

Yes I saw the beta 12 also available in the googlecode downloads page, but was mentioned - that it MIGHT not be stable and not that tested. Hence decided to stick with beta 9.

Fooshnik

Reaction score
Is there some trick to getting Elixer 2 to work? I made a widget that turns it on (using "Wi-Fi AP (Hotspot) toggle") but when I connect to my SSID in windowz I get "No Internet Access".

mwahlquist

Reaction score
VZW can't track this correct?

Pete made some changes in his ROM a while back to use the stock settings to turn tether on and off without directing towards VZW.

I have yet to see anyone verify if this widget does this or not, but the fact that it works without root leads me to believe that maybe it just answers the question yes automagically for you... and that you would see it in the bill. I would like to see how someone got root access to change that in system setting using an app, on an urooted handset. I am not convinced, but am open to proof.

The real answer is VZW "could" track anyone tethering if they wanted to. A simple look at the resolution of the web pages you request through their network (which is completely legal on their end) would be a dead giveaway, since they know what device resolution you have. They don't seem to be monitoring that way though.

TuxDude

Reaction score
VZW can't track this correct?

Pete made some changes in his ROM a while back to use the stock settings to turn tether on and off without directing towards VZW.

I have yet to see anyone verify if this widget does this or not, but the fact that it works without root leads me to believe that maybe it just answers the question yes automagically for you... and that you would see it in the bill. I would like to see how someone got root access to change that in system setting using an app, on an urooted handset. I am not convinced, but am open to proof.

The real answer is VZW "could" track anyone tethering if they wanted to. A simple look at the resolution of the web pages you request through their network (which is completely legal on their end) would be a dead giveaway, since they know what device resolution you have. They don't seem to be monitoring that way though.

I believe the resolution wouldn't work - since ICS has a desktop view mode option in the browser. There might be other ways though if VZW wanted to track it.

baldybill

Reaction score
I'm using this, and for some reason it only works for about 30 minutes and then stops.
The app looks like it's running, but my PC doesn't see it.

I had used it on my OG Droid and had no problems.
I am NOT running any tasker or battery saver type programs that could conflict with the settings.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Fooshnik

Reaction score
Is there some trick to getting Elixer 2 to work? I made a widget that turns it on (using "Wi-Fi AP (Hotspot) toggle") but when I connect to my SSID in windowz I get "No Internet Access".
I forgot I configured my DNS with my local DNS server so after changing that I can confirm that Elixir 2 widget does work. The wifi tether that requires root also works but causes random reboots on my phone. It is a beta so I guess that's not unexpected.

bsmith0731

Reaction score
I am running stock. Is there some type of app that shows whose connected elixir 2 just turns it on. I'd like to be able to see which device is connected maybe even disconnect a particular device if I choose!

Thanks

The free version of wifi hotspot tether doesn't have any feature like that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

baldybill

Reaction score
Today I got it to go for about 5 hours before it dropped the connection.

Could it be that my connection drops when the phone attempts to go to 1x?
Or could it be some other fluke like that?

Do we suppose a future update (radio, 4.0.3, etc) will fix it?