Wireless Tether

Uncle Chan

Reaction score
What are the odds of this being available on the nexus without the 4G hotspot?

Creed

Reaction score
Out of the box? I would say very, very low (unless you pay the extra $30.)

With a custom ROM? I still am just guessing, but probably much higher.

Last edited:

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Given the fact there is already root for it i would say this would follow rather quickly..

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

baldybill

Reaction score
If I have this right, we root it, leave the stock ics, and then run a wireless tether app

Sent from my OG Droid

OP
U

Uncle Chan

Reaction score
If I have this right, we root it, leave the stock ics, and then run a wireless tether app

Sent from my OG Droid

This is good to know. Where I live, wireless through my phone is pretty much it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sent from my OG Droid

You have it right. The wireless tether app should work fine, however, Verizon seems to block certain websites. Use with caution and don't abuse it.

Edit: If you're interested, this is what I use: http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Made by google and it's free. It used to be in the market but Verizon blocks it now. It can be downloaded directly from the link and manually installed on a rooted device. Enjoy!

Last edited:

jacob121791

Reaction score
You have it right. The wireless tether app should work fine, however, Verizon seems to block certain websites. Use with caution and don't abuse it.

Edit: If you're interested, this is what I use: android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

Made by google and it's free. It used to be in the market but Verizon blocks it now. It can be downloaded directly from the link and manually installed on a rooted device. Enjoy!

This tether is made by google???

laxamar

Reaction score
Not BY google, HOSTED by Google code. The devs are listed there. Getting root is not enough, you need alinux kernel with a feature called Netfilter. Verizon won't release such a kernel. If the phone has alocked bootloader, like the Bionic, kernel can't be changed, so this app won't work.

It all depends how the nexus's bootloader is locked.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not BY google, HOSTED by Google code. The devs are listed there. Getting root is not enough, you need alinux kernel with a feature called Netfilter. Verizon won't release such a kernel. If the phone has alocked bootloader, like the Bionic, kernel can't be changed, so this app won't work.

It all depends how the nexus's bootloader is locked.

Good to know, thanks. And the bootloader should be fine.

mach330

Reaction score
doesn't all nexus line have built in tether app (not the carrier one)? but i'm sure vzw won't make it that easy to do. just hoping the good devs out there can figure it out.

SixEighteen

Reaction score
Hang on, I think I'm missing something: What's the difference between the stock 4G Hotspot and wireless tethering?