Wireless Tether troubleshooting

OP
jjhiza

jjhiza

Reaction score
Yes. For some unknown reason, this HP model doesn't support BT. :( Is that going to be a massive problem?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do not think so. I miscommunicated check the BT on your phone. if you have access control turned turn it off and see if that works

OP
jjhiza

jjhiza

Reaction score
WOW!!!! WTF?! You were spot on man! Just turned off Access Control, and it works like a dream! Brilliant! Thank you so much! :)

OP
jjhiza

jjhiza

Reaction score
WOW!!!! WTF?! You were spot on man! Just turned off Access Control, and it works like a dream! Brilliant! Thank you so much! :)

OP
jjhiza

jjhiza

Reaction score
Thank you both! Tethering was one of my main reasons for rooting in the first place, and I was getting more than frustrated. Thanks for the responsiveness and the effectiveness of your comments. Keep up the great work!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad we were able to help you. The rescue squad is a true asset to DF so thanks for the positive feedback.

Mike

OP
jjhiza

jjhiza

Reaction score
One more tidbit... I'm running at 1000 MHz max and 750 MHz min... any suggestions to keep the heat down on the phone while tethered?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
750 min? :icon_eek::blink::icon_ nono::icon_ nono:

Yeah, drop that lower level to the bare minimum you can put it at and apologize profusely to your Droid for pushing it that much harder than it ever needed to go. ;) WiFi tethering kicks out a lot of heat and sucks the battery so fast you'll wonder where it went. :)

OP
jjhiza

jjhiza

Reaction score
Duly noted, and done. 300 MHz is the min, so that's what I dropped it to. As I stated before, I'm new to the Mod scene, so any extra advice I can get is always welcome. Thanks again. :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Two more tips. One, for extended WiFi tethering, you'll want to hook it into a power source like the wall charger or plug it into the computer to keep the battery from dropping too low (ergo why I was suggesting you try USB tethering in addition -- if you're only tethering one computer at a time... ;)), and to keep the heat down make sure you're running on-demand or conservative profiles in SetCPU, and your screen-off profile has a high priority AND is set at minimum-stepping - next-lowest step for speeds. :)

OP
jjhiza

jjhiza

Reaction score
Ok, will do. Thanks for the great advice. I know I'm a bit out of my element, so I appreciate all the information and the time you're taking to make me more aware.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
More than happy to help. Oh, one last quick bit of advice -- do not run a task killer. They're not so good for the Android OS and often result in far more problems than they can cure. :D

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. We'll be more than happy to help as best we can.