Wireless Tether PS3 online

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mach330, Feb 10, 2010.

1. mach330

mach330 New Member

ok..is it safe to do this? do a wireless tether on the ps3 online? will vzw ding me for this? i'm guessing this is a lot of data? my bro-in-law doesn't have high speed internet at home (no access for dsl). so instead of paying for $40/mo on cable internet, i was thinking of just having him do the data plan for verizon (rooted droid of course). is this wise?
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

I'm pretty sure this is possible with a PS3.....ALTHOUGH.......yes I would say that is a HUGE amount of data being processed...

There is a thread somewhere around here titled something about tethering an xbox...and they talk about tethering the PS3 too....search for that thread and read through to find out more info on this
  3. LtKen

LtKen New Member

That's an awful idea:

1) You can easily chew through more than 5gb in a month (and it's technically a violation of your terms of use, hello extra fees)

2) You'd probably not be able to game at all, since the lag is through the roof

3) Unless you already have an activated Droid, there's no way it's cheaper than paying for Verizon.

Tethering is not meant to replace a hardwired network connection, it's meant to act as a back up in case you spend a night in a hotel that doesnt have internet, or are out in the middle of nowhere and need to check your e-mail.

If people start to abuse the tethering, we all run the risk of losing the capability. EDIT: And yes, I understand that it's open software, but Verizon can begin to order phones that dont allow BT data, or dont have WiFi -- it happens all the time.
  4. hydrogenman

hydrogenman Guest

Moot point as the lag would be unbearable
  5. mach330

mach330 New Member

thanks guys for the advice. i won't go this route.
  6. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yeah I own a PS3 and believe me, I've been so tempted to try this out!!

But I imagine that tethering a PS3 and tethering a laptop....would be entirely different as to how much data is needed to support what they do...
  7. Lynx

Lynx New Member

Unlimited Data means unlimited NOT 5GB... I dont understand how many times this has to be stated lol. However yea I wouldnt tether an Xbox or PS3
  8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

The typical understanding is that while data use ON the smartphone is unlimited, tethered data use is NOT unlimited. If you were to pay Verizon for tethering (not yet available on the droid, but on other phones it is), you would only get 5GB per month. Above that 5GB is $0.25/MB, which adds up fast. If you are caught tethering, they will likely charge you that rate for the over-5GB amount.

So while there's no concrete evidence that 5GB is a cap of any kind, it's understood that high data use is probably one of the indicators Verizon would use to detect tethering. It's best not to encourage tethering large amounts of data.
  9. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

my thoughts
  10. evolushun

evolushun New Member

I used to work for Verizon and let me let you all in on a little secret. Smartphones of yesterday made you install VZAccess to tether. This is how Verizon monitored how much data you were actually tethering. Due to the fact that these phones are now rooted and the Wi-Fi tethering is a 3rd party app, it is IMPOSSIBLE for Verizon to prove whether or not you are tethering or searching for info on your Droid. This is not a theory...this is cold, hard fact.

As for trying to hook up to a gaming system, I'm with everyone else that this would just suck...
  11. jasonb

jasonb New Member

gaming online doesn't eat up a lot of data, you'd be surprised how little it actually uses, but the lag will be BAD. 100+ms of lag will be a killer for gaming.
  12. MK17

MK17 New Member

Actually, I tried it out on my buddies Xbox360 because I figured one game wouldn't hurt. I couldn't get to connect directly from Xbox to droid via wifi, but I could tether the laptop and the run an ethernet cable to the Xbox.

From my experience I played a game on it (CODMW2 Capture the flag ~5-10 min in length) and the wifi tether only racked up 6mb of data. Yes, that is correct, SIX. I turned on Pandora on the laptop after the game and racked that up within a matter of minutes.

As for the lag, there was some but I've played with worse, and if it was all I had it would be good enough.

I found the results just as surprising, while playing the game the tether only showed 17-23 kbs while after the game when I turned on Pandora it immediately shot into the upper 200 kbs.

Not sure what to make of it, but it works and didn't seem to take much data at all. Would anyone else be willing to try and confirm this in a similar situation?
  13. jasonb

jasonb New Member

as i stated, online gaming does not use up very much data. online gaming does not require high bandwidth, but it does require good ping times.
  14. lordegregious

lordegregious New Member

I did a test of TF2, which is very different from a console game but I hadn't tried gaming yet so I gave it a shot.

Playing I usually had 120 down and 25 up with a ping of 115. I played a spy so if there was lag I didn't notice much.

I wouldn't use a phones connection for PS3 gaming. It will be mostly miserable and ruin the game for others too. Although a lot of PS3 games do have dedicated server activity so you never know.
  15. mach330

mach330 New Member

some interesting data here. i'll try it out myself and see how much data and how the lag is.
  16. pthance

pthance New Member

Well I online game with the droid wifi tethering. Pokerstars.com FTW!!! Not really the same as what everyone here is going for though.
  17. lordegregious

lordegregious New Member

Extremely bored tonight watching the Olympics so I decided to rig it up to tether my droid to my ps3 after my test of TF2 on the pc.

My results were surprising. I tried MAG first since it was already in the drive. I joined a 128 player game and experienced zero lag. I suck at MAG so I only managed to kill 4 other players in the 10 minutes I played.

I figured my results were a little too ideal so I fired up Uncharted 2. I had to get the latest patch which was 15 MB and it downloaded fairly fast and topped out the connection at 2.1 mbps. It took me a little over 3 minutes to get into a game but I've never had it be blazing fast on my cable connection. I played a team deathmatch with 10 people total and once again was amazed at the gameplay. I played the entire match with zero lag. I managed to get the top spot on my team in kills but we still lost.

I wouldn't say these results are typical though. I am within 10 miles of a verizon tower and I live in a very low tech rural town that probably has all of 20 smartphones in it. I did a speedtest on my phone after playing and had a ping of 94 ms with a down connection of 2.14 Mbps and up of .76 Mbps. I don't think I've ever seen a ping that low before.

Forgot to add that in total it was 60 MB down and 10 MB up after playing MAG and Uncharted plus the 15 MB update.
  18. evolushun

evolushun New Member

Interesting...
  19. beneharris

beneharris New Member

how did you get your ps3 hooked up?i couldn't get it to see my wifi from the phone. so i hooked my computer up, and then i shared the connection with an ethernet cable, but i coudln't keep the ps3 connected to it. how did you do it?
  20. Randomocity

Randomocity New Member

I've played my fair share of games over wifi tethering, both from my Laptop and from my ps3. Honestly, the lag is more than bearable in the city that I live in, and actually with games like MW2 and TF2, I found that I could play just as quickly as I could on a standard DSL connection. Ping times were still around 100-115, but considering I've had much much much worse than that on a standard land line. Needless to say there was a pleasant surprise.
Search tags for this page
android for ps3 tethering online minimum ping
android wifi tether ps3 nat2
can a ps3 go online with tethering

can you tether a smartphone to a ps3

help tethering internet on ps3 smartphone
how to link ps3 to tethering smart phone
how to tather wifi wit smartphone on ps3
how to tether android smart phone to playstation 3 for inter
how to tether phone to game system
how to tether smartphone to a ps3
pdanet tether ps3 nat 3?