Wireless Tether / Phone question

ghoticov

Reaction score
Hey all...

I have searched and searched this forum and can't find an answer to my issue.

I have a rooted Droid X. Does anyone else have a problem with Wireless Tether dropping the connecting when receiving a phone call, text or twitter/facebook update?

I use my laptop on the road and tether to my Droid X but every time I get a phone call, my lap top gets disconnected. Same goes if I get a text or a facebook/twitter notification.

Any one else have this issue and can it be fixed? I am going to tether my Motorola XOOM to my X but if it doesn't stay connected, that would kind of suck. :)

Thanks!

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Hey all...

I have a rooted Droid X. Does anyone else have a problem with Wireless Tether dropping the connecting when receiving a phone call, text or twitter/facebook update?

I use my laptop on the road and tether to my Droid X but every time I get a phone call, my lap top gets disconnected. Same goes if I get a text or a facebook/twitter notification.

Any one else have this issue and can it be fixed? I am going to tether my Motorola XOOM to my X but if it doesn't stay connected, that would kind of suck. :)

Thanks!
Well, since you are using the data connection of your phone to tether for the internet, it stands to reason that the phone will drop the data connection on the tether so that a call can come through, or even a text message...unfortunately, Verizon does not support internet and voice data at the same time on their 3G network.

Once 4G LTE hits and you have a compliant phone, this issue will be resolved...

OP
G

ghoticov

Reaction score
Hey all...

Thanks!
Well, since you are using the data connection of your phone to tether for the internet, it stands to reason that the phone will drop the data connection on the tether so that a call can come through, or even a text message...unfortunately, Verizon does not support internet and voice data at the same time on their 3G network.

Well, that sucks. lol Would the TBH 3G Mobile Hotspot work any better? I assume not.

OP
G

ghoticov

Reaction score
Hey all...

Thanks!

One other question...

Let's say I am on my laptop surfing the net (or doing work..ha!) while being tethered to my X. A call comes in and my laptop gets disconnected... should my laptop reestablish the connection once I am off the phone? Because right now it doesn't. I am hoping the XOOM will just reconnect automatically once I get off the phone.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Well, that sucks. lol Would the TBH 3G Mobile Hotspot work any better? I assume not.

I would have to say probably not since it is the same basic service and works in much the same way. Its still dependent on the 3G service from Verizon, and as it is now, it will not support calls and internet at the same time on the Data Connection(3G)

One other question...

Let's say I am on my laptop surfing the net (or doing work..ha!) while being tethered to my X. A call comes in and my laptop gets disconnected... should my laptop reestablish the connection once I am off the phone? Because right now it doesn't. I am hoping the XOOM will just reconnect automatically once I get off the phone.

From my use of Wireless Tether for Root Users, it does not automatically reconnect...but I have never dove in and actually looked to see if there is a setting that can be changed in order for it to do so. Fire up your Tether app and click the Hard Menu button on the phone and check to see if there is a setting for Automatically Reconnecting after a service disconnect...

OP
G

ghoticov

Reaction score

I would have to say probably not since it is the same basic service and works in much the same way. Its still dependent on the 3G service from Verizon, and as it is now, it will not support calls and internet at the same time on the Data Connection(3G)

One other question...

From my use of Wireless Tether for Root Users, it does not automatically reconnect...but I have never dove in and actually looked to see if there is a setting that can be changed in order for it to do so. Fire up your Tether app and click the Hard Menu button on the phone and check to see if there is a setting for Automatically Reconnecting after a service disconnect...

Thanks for your help. I looked in the settings and there is nothing for reconnecting after a service disconnect. Not sure where else to look.

Maybe someone else can help us out????

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I looked in the settings and there is nothing for reconnecting after a service disconnect. Not sure where else to look.

Maybe someone else can help us out????

No problem...wished I could have been more of a help...:)

tw15egan

Reaction score
Interested in this as well, as I use my Droid to tether my iPad and it keeps dropping connection..

igknight

Reaction score
I use the 3G tether as the others ones don't work on my phone after the 2.2.1 update. I however never had issues with that. I was able to send/receive a txt messages without getting disconnected. I can event get them when I am talking on the phone.

I do however have issues with the 3G Mobile Hotspot where it will just shut itself off.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I have been using Wireless Tether today for about 3 hours..cable internet took a poop over a small lightening storm...:icon_evil:

After doing so, I did notice that SMS messages did not kick my tether...but a phone call did, and after the phone call I did have to stop and then restart my tether...

So, can someone smarter than me confirm what does and does not disconnect the wireless tether...SMS, MMS, Calls etc?

igknight

Reaction score
I know a call will. I think the HTC Thunderbolt and probably the iPhone are the only two VZW phones that can do voice and data at the same time.

OP
G

ghoticov

Reaction score
I am now noticing that when I am running tether and I get a call, I get very bad static... like it sounds like a bad connection. Does anyone else get this? I have tried it numerous times and get static every time. As soon as I turn off wireless tether it goes away. The person on the other line always ask if I am in a bad area. lol

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I know a call will. I think the HTC Thunderbolt and probably the iPhone are the only two VZW phones that can do voice and data at the same time.
The iPhone doesnt because it is just as all the other phones before it, using Verizons 3G service, which will not support Internet Data and Voice Data at the same time.

The Thunderbolt is a 4G LTE phone, and it does support it due to 4G.