Wireless Tether Patcher - One-Click Solution - 2.x

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ChevyNo1, Jan 8, 2010.

1. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Wireless Tether Patcher - One-Click Solution - 2.x [Updated 1/25/10]

Added 2/2/10 - Found a bug where the 1000 overclock does not take. Fixed. Also to note - this no longer 'patches' wifi-tether as the latest version works without fixes/hacks. But this tool still does the installs for you, and mostly now is an overclock tool.

http://www.4shared.com/file/213870790/8daf6124/WirelessTetherPatcher-Overcloc.html

Mirror: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4XNS56NG

Added 1/29/10 - Streamlined the process - no added functionality if you already have this running the way you want.

Added 1/28/10 - Updated version includes new OC kernels 950/1100

Added 1/27/10 - Updated version that you can use to JUST overclock, if you have wifi-tether working.

Added 1/26/10 - Harald Mue has just added a new version that I have installed and it works great! WEP as well

It seems the script included in the new app still does not maintain SSID .. so I have put together a new version of my patcher, which also will uninstall the old wifi-tether app first if it's already there. This BY DEFAULT overclocks to 600; this also fixes the brightness issue with the wifi kernel. I have included all the evilboot*.img files posted from AllDroid, choose which you wish.

Added 1/25/10 - new version uses the Superuser app that 95% out there are running and no longer uses a different one.

Added 1/15/10 - new patcher exe available that includes my FixBrite widget also ... there is a new ROM out at alldroid that claims to fix brightness, but it hasn't worked for me. So I wrote the FixBrite widget, and have now included it with this patcher, as the boot.img contained within will break ability to adjust screen brightness. In addition ... this also has an option to allow overclocking as well. All you'll need extra is something like SetCPU, available on the market.

This should make the process pretty easy ...

You must have root to use this package. It will install busybox for you, as well as wireless-tethering. Everything works but encryption as far as I can tell. This is the same thing as the 2.1 ROM I posted, but this is for you who want to just enable your current setup without reverting to a clean ROM.

Essentially this automates every step of the following guide except 1 - 2a, and will work for both 2.0 - 2.1:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...d-wifi-tether-wireless-tether-root-users.html

I have tested this on the virginoem 2.0.1 backup posted, on my personal 2.0.1 backup, a base 2.1 backup, and my personal 2.1 backup. All are working.

Download it here:

<look for 1/25/10 updates above>

Let me know if you see any issues!

Added 1/11/10 - new patcher exe available that looks for presence of adb as well as your phone connected properly before continuing. In addition, if you place the Patcher exe in the same directory as adb.exe, it will now find it.

<look for 1/11/15 updates above>

Added 1/9/10 - more information as put together by mekishiko - I myself have not tested these instructions, but wanted to make them available to others. These steps are all before running the patcher exe.

-------------------------------------------------
    1) Root your DROID phone

2)Install Sprecovery 0.99.2b by doing the following:

-Plug in your DROID to your PC, Copy the 0.99.2b IMG file to your SD card first, then copy the Droid Root Helper APK to the SD card. (Download here: AllDroid.org - Information
    -on your phone, Install the DroidRootHelper APK using a file manager (Like Astro)
    -Run DroidRoot Helper
    -Click on "Mount mtdblock3 System read/write"
    -Click "Sync"
    -Click "Rename recovery-from-boot.p" (This will make sure your new Sprecovery stays permanent)
    -Click on "Install and chmod busybox(installs to /system/bin)"
    -Click on "Install and chmod flash_image (busybox must be installed first)
    -NOW EXIT THE PRGRAM
    -your phone should still be plugged into your PC via USB (make sure you have Debug mode enabled on your phone)
    -go to your dos prompt, and navigate to your ADB tools folder
    -install the new SPrecovery to your phone by running the following command:

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.2b.img
    -wait a minute or so, it should only take like 30 seconds to flash but there is no status bar or indicator so I like to wait a little bit.
    -now Power off your DROID, then unplug the USB cable
    -Power it on WHILE HOLDING THE X KEY
    -you should now be booted into your new fancy Sprecover 99.2B, take this oppurtunity to read the menus, and make a NAND BACKUP so you can revert your phone should you EFF it up
    -after it finishes, go back to the main menu by pressing the power button to back out of menus, then Reboot your phone.

3a) New patcher (1/11/10) can just be placed into the same directory where adb.exe resides so you don't have to add to PATH as below

3) Now you need to do a little work on your PC while your phone start back up
    -Right click on MY COMPUTER
    -Click on PROPERTIES
    -Click on the ADVANCED tab
    -Click on ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES at the bottom
    -in the system variable window on the bottom half you'll see a part that says PATH, click on it so it turns blue, and click EDIT
    -Click on the end of the VARIABLE VALUE field, and add the following to the end:

;C:\PathToYourADBtools
    For example Mine would be ;C:\android\tools
    -Click OK
    -Click OK
    -Click OK one last time

4)Now your ADB tools are in your system path so the EXE will know where to find them.

-Plug in your phone to the PC via USB again
    -Locate the WirelessTetherPatcher.exe
    -double click on it, read the disclaimer carefully. click OK if you are comfortable/agree
    -now follow the on screen instructions EXACTLY AS THEY TELL YOU, and you will be ready to go in a couple minutes, with WIFI tethering working.
    ---------------------------------
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. coreteck

coreteck New Member

What if u already have busy box installed?
  3. ChevyNo1

Good question. It will overwrite the one you have ... which I don't see as a problem. The one I have is dated 12/23/09 ... which again, all the files I'm using are pulled from the link I posted. My 2.0.1 backup already had busybox, but not tether ... still worked just great!
  4. ChevyNo1

And let me add one more disclaimer: make a NANDROID BACKUP before you do anything. It's always a good practice.
  5. freddroidhead

freddroidhead New Member

how do you install it?
  6. phreakaj

phreakaj New Member

How do I apply this????? all i got was an exe file and i don't know how to use it. sorry if i am dumb
  7. ChevyNo1

OK ok I guess I should have given more instructions lol

You should have your phone plugged into your computer. You should have adb installed. If you do not know what that is, this is not the patch for you. That's pretty much it. Double-click the exe file. It will do all the work for you, reboot your phone a couple of times, etc.

This is doing all the manual steps in the link posted above, ie. using adb shell, entering Linux commands, etc. This attempts to automate it all from a windows standpoint. Your phone can even be running when you do this, or you can also reboot to recovery yourself. This app will do it all.
  8. freddroidhead

freddroidhead New Member

I have it installed but it's not doing anything on my pc. What makes it work on the pc?
  9. freddroidhead

freddroidhead New Member

nevermind. i just realized it's a wifi tether from your cell phone to a laptop or wireless nic. i don't have a laptop anymore but this is a great program if i do get another one. thanks for posting! and great work on the simple install process. :)
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  10. android4ever

android4ever New Member

OK so I'm just a tad lost. I know how to use adb after installing that peeing Android boot animation and I also rooted the phone already, I haven't figured out how to make a NANDROID BACUP or if the .exe should on the phone's (top) root SDCARD or on my computer while I run it. Help.... thanks!
  11. AWB

AWB New Member

To be able to make nandroid backups (and install alternate ROMs) follow the steps in this guide. Installation | Sholes

And this download just automates all the command prompt syntax you would have to enter manually. To use it just have your phone connected to your computer and make sure that you have USB debugging and Stay Awke selected in Home Settings>Applications>Development. That should it.
  12. android4ever

android4ever New Member

OK so do I need to have the .exe file installed in every computer I want to use with the droid? AND will opening the .exe from wherever it downloaded to due the trick?

Also I can use it as a mobile modem with any computer?
  13. AWB

AWB New Member

No you just need it on the computer that is going to install the wifi tether driver, app, etc. Once it runs you should be good to go. Next opening straight from the source of the .exe should be fine. and finally it wouldnt be a modem as much as it would a router but even that is kind of a lofty way to describe tethering.
  14. Calla969

Calla969 New Member

After the first reboot, I get the /!\ screen, not the actual recovery screen, then if I press a key, I get a "device not found" error. I tried pressing the volume up and camera key and proceeding from the recovery screen with the same result. I am running 2.0.1 on a rooted phone. Any ideas?
  15. hydrogenman

hydrogenman New Member

you had SirPsychoS' recovery image installed ??
  16. Calla969

Calla969 New Member

I previously had a 2.1 ROM installed, but now I am running my backup from before that update. I did update manually to 2.0.1, but don't remember which one I used.
  17. hydrogenman

hydrogenman New Member

ok, I'll report it's not working for me I am rooted, have sirpsycho's recovery image, everything goes fine until when it says to try logging into tethering to start it it asks for permission, I select always, but it won't start tethering, it fails. I goto the next step and I get "failed on /data/data/android.tether/bin/tether.orig - Not a Directory Unable to chmod /data/data/android.tether/bin/tether: not a directory" Then tells me I'm ready for tether, but I'm obviously not. I will say I browsed to this location /data/data/android.tether/bin is a file, not a folder, thus there is no /data/data/android.tether/bin/tether.orig
  18. evilgreg

evilgreg New Member

Since this can be applied to stock 2.0.1 (rooted), does this fix the brightness problem?
  19. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

so i have been sort of ignoring this whole rooting thing because I...

A) Dont want to ruin my $$$ phone that i cannot afford to replace
    B) I havent seen anything to draw me into rooting it (i can wait for 2.1)

but.... i definitely have a need for this, i absolutely would kill to be able to get this up and running on my phone but i have a couple of questions

1) Will rooting my phone and installing this be easy to reverse when official 2.1 is available to the Droid?
    2) After the 2.1 update will you be able to root and do this process again seeing as the N1 has already been rooted and this works on 2.1 ROMs?
    3) If an updated version of this comes out will it be easy to upgrade?
    4) Im new to this adb stuff and I havent messed around with it or rooting at all but I do have a basic understanding of linux commands and I have jailbroken my ipod touch in cmd prompt before as well as ssh'ed extensively onto my ipod, will that help me at all when it comes to this adb stuff?

basically I would love to do this but I'm not particularly familiarized with all of this rooting stuff since I have had no need for it until now

are there any threads or tutorials i should look at for adb, i feel like im pretty tech savvy but im just a little hesitant to mess around with my phone since its way more important to me than an ipod touch

any advice, directions, or simply pointing me towards some good threads would be greatly appreciated
  20. cystic

cystic New Member

This is good news and good work however I would caution less experienced users to wait until this is fully tested and bugs worked out

Newton: all of these concerns have already been addressed on this forum...
    Before you start Modding anything do your research and make sure you know how to reverse changes when things don't go as planned.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010