wireless tether only local, no internet

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by phreakaj, Feb 15, 2010.

1. phreakaj

phreakaj New Member

Well I know this is probably simple but I can't figure it out. I'm using wireless tether with wep and when I hook up (all goes well btw) I oonly am able to connect to local. No internet. I am running windows vista and I'm sure I need to change a setting but I don't know what it is. Can someone shed some light for me.
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Every time I used to use the Wireless Tether for Root Users app, I literally didn't have to do or change anything....I just turned it on on my Droid, and then there it was on my computer like magic....

So I mean I have no idea what would have to be messed with or changed.....
  3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

I have this exact problem. Later today, I'm going to uninstall the Wifi for Root app and reload it. Then do the Tiwlan patch and see if any of that helps. I've read every post I can find about Wifi/tethering and found nothing relevant to this problem. I don't even use/need tethering, it just makes me nuts when something will not work the way it's supposed to. :mad:
  4. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Haha....I am the exact same way FlyFisher.....I would flash those kernels from Taz and absolutely HAVE to then flash that talwin image to fix the wifi even though I NEVER use wifi....EVER lol it just bugged the crap out of me
  5. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Back when this was first released, I had to mess with the settings before I was able to connect. I changed the broadcast name and maybe the channel (can't remember now) and that kick-started it.
  6. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Thanks. I'm going to fool with this stuff shortly (I actually have a little real work to get out of the way first:mad:) My hunch is that my settings are wrong. It may be the new Windows 7 laptop settings??
  7. phreakaj

phreakaj New Member

I am using vista on a laptop but it was setup to be uphgraded to win 7 when I got it. I have had the same local only connection problem with my router at times and I think I had to reset the ip address for the router but I dunno if that would help or. If it is even possible. If anyone finds a fix please post as I don't have any internet except my droid when I am at my new place ande can't afford it.(broke college student)lol please help if anyone gets this figured out.
  8. kevin1016

kevin1016 New Member

Feel free to flame me for this but what's the point of wifi tether? I'm trying to figure out why I wouldn't just connect my laptop to the wifi.
  9. JhankG

JhankG New Member

When you don't have access to the internet, you can connect your laptop (or any wifi capable device) to the Droid and use it's 3G connection...
  10. kevin1016

kevin1016 New Member

No sh it? Huh. Well then, that's extremely useful. I was thinking it only worked with a wifi connection. So, basically, it's wireless Pdanet?
  11. rothenbj

rothenbj New Member

I don't know if you're having the same issues or if they've been resolved, but I found at least a workaround for me on XP. I have a wireless lan at home which I believe may be the reason I have an issue, not sure.

I found mention of Wireless Zero Configuration mentioned somewhere. I found that you get to it by doing a START-RUN then entering "services.msc" in the dialog box. This will open a program entitled Services (Local) which has a long list of MS services. Go down to the bottom and you'll find Wireless Zero Configuration. Click on that and it will give you a Start button to push.

Once started the phone beeped at me and I had the internet. The downside is that to get back on to my home network, I needed to stop the service. Also, if I turn off the PC, I need to start it up again to have the tethering work.

I don't think this should be necessary, but at this point I'm at least tethering away. :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  12. bolden88

bolden88 New Member

Same deal with XP. My laptop see's my Droid as a wireless connection but I cannot click on it. When I highlight and click on CONNECT it just throws me back to my old router. Should I shut off my DSL router? It lets me pick WiFi connections neighborhood. Would love to cancel my DSL and save
  13. hazens1

hazens1 New Member

If you turned on Access Control in the settings for wireless tether, try turning it off. Wireless tether also has a log that can point you to problems with the application.
  14. nguyentomq

nguyentomq New Member

Hello all

My first post. Hope this helps.

I have a Dinc rooted with wireless tether. I had the same problem where my Vista computer was only connecting locally but no internet. I tried everything. Then i tried my girlfriends computer running windows 7. It connected with no problem. So my conclusion is that there is something wrong with my computer not the phone or the wireless tether app. I then concluded that there has to be something wrong with my wireless card/settings. So I uninstalled my wireless card driver and my computer then automatically reinstalled back the driver. After that my computer connected to my phone using wireless tether with no problem.After my computer reinstalled the driver for my wireless card, I noticed that the driver date of my wireless card was published in 2006. So I figured that maybe i just had to roll back to an older driver or the problem was either the settings of my wireless card and by deleting my driver and reinstalling it fixed the problem.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  15. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I'm on BB 0.4 and my PC is Win7 and wireless tether only works for a few minutes before bonking out. I've tried it on different channels and with and without WEP.

Any idea why this doesn't stay connected? What settings are people using. I guess there is always PDAnet (though I haven't tried).
Search tags for this page
android tether connected but no internet

android wifi tether local access only

easy tether no internet access

easytether connected but no internet

easytether is connected with android phone but no internet
local only on tether
tether laptop wireless to motorola no internet
tethered hero phone local only no internet
tethering local access only

tethering local only

vista no internet tethering s4