Wireless tether not working

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by jeston, Feb 24, 2011.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. jeston

jeston Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,

I just bought my Xoom with the intent on tethering it to my phone for internet (with wireless tether for root). I haven't used tethering since I think SS 4.9, and it worked back then. So I go start it up and my Xoom won't see the network. So I start up my OLD Windows Mobile phone to see if it can see the network to make sure it wasn't my Xoom. Nope. So I start up my Xbox to see if it can see the network. Nope. That pretty much confirms a problem with my phone. Like I said, before today I hadn't used wireless tether since the upgrade to Gingerbread. I configured all my settings correctly and get nothing. I've tried uninstalling wireless tether and reinstalling with the same results. I even downloaded Barnacle and get nothing from either. Any help?

Edit: Well, I just got it working via Bluetooth which is acceptable for now. I would still like to know what's wrong with the wireless, though.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Tethering shows as working, ie running? But nothing you have can see it?
  3. MTuning

MTuning Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My wireless tether works but the Xoom won't pick it up. What settings did you use to connect the Xoom via bluetooth? I'm getting the paired but not connected message.
  4. sranger

sranger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The WiFi on the XOOM is DISABLED by the factory until you purchase and activate at least one month of 3G Service. This sux, but that is what they did....

Edit:

This info was based on mis-information put out by Best Buy. I apologize for the incorrect information. The XOOM does not reqire 3G to get the WiFi to work....
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  5. DaveB722

DaveB722 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its not picking up my phone's wireless tether either and I know sunday it was working cause my girls iPod was working on it. Strange, will have to mess around a little more with it. Home wireless works fine.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App
  6. MTuning

MTuning Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It won't connect via wifi option, something about ad-hoc, hence why bluetooth tether is the workaround on the OG Droid.

Guy at Verizon said that's not true about unlocking wifi. I have a data plan so I can't say 100%.
  7. Coolsaber57

Coolsaber57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ...what?

OP, it's possible that you'll need to replace the WPA_Supplicant file on the Xoom with one that includes the ad hoc option. I had to do that on my Galaxy Tab.
  8. MTuning

MTuning Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What what?
  9. Coolsaber57

Coolsaber57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The workaround is for the Droid or the Xoom? It wasn't clear from you post :)
  10. MTuning

MTuning Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The workaround was for connecting the Xoom to use the Droid's data. Sorry, I'm at work and attempting to multitask. From what I've read so far, some users are firing up wireless tether on the Droid but have to use the bluetooth option in the app. The xoom would connect to the Droid via bluetooth and use the Droid's data that way. It sounds like that was the OP's solution as well but I have been unsuccessful so far.
  11. Coolsaber57

Coolsaber57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, ok. I would bet money that it's the WPA_Supplicant file issue. Someone needs to update it to include the ad hoc functionality.
  12. MTuning

MTuning Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update: I downloaded the experimental apk on the wireless tether's site and installed it on my Droid. My Xoom is now able to use my Droid's data via bluetooth option. I know this is not the OP's issue but just wanted to throw that out there. JACKPOT!
  13. jeston

jeston Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, after looking around a bit it's absolutely a problem with the Xoom not being able to connect to ad-hoc, however I'm still not convinced my wifi tether is working. I'll need to check on that when I get home to my laptop in a couple hours. If there is a way to update the WPA_Supplicant file, I'd love to do that.

To get tether working over Bluetooth, pair the two devices, then start up Wireless Tether for Root and go into the settings and check Use Bluetooth. Then on the Xoom, go into your Bluetooth settings and find your device listed there (it should say "paired but not connected"). Click the wrench to the right of it and there will be an option for tethering. Just click that and away you go!
  14. MTuning

MTuning Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is your wireless tether app in the /system folder or /data? I had trouble with mine when it was in the /system folder.
  15. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    After 5.0 it should now be in the /data folder
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
Search tags for this page

comunity hacking wifi setup

wifi doesnt pickup andriod tether