wireless tether for rooted users

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Ok so yesterday I put froyo on my droid so I basically rooted it an fallowed the stock2.1to rooted 2.2 so I fallowed the wireless tether step an then yesterday was in the car with my friend an I turned on my wireless tether to see if it worked (we were gonna run his unrooted droid off it as test) but the other droid didn't pick anything up...

Now when I. Open wireless tether the signal thing is all green an says touch here to start or something to that effect. So I click it the bars go grey an my up an down kbs go to 0.0

Anyone help me with getting this working should I try un installing it an re installing it?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
hit the green to stat tethering, then wait a minute or so, what networks did the other droid pick up?

By default the SSID is AndroidTether... non secure.

OP
ChevyNexus

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
hit the green to stat tethering, then wait a minute or so, what networks did the other droid pick up?

SSID? Sorry new to this stuff no idea what that means.

An also that's the thing he picked up a secured wifi from my other buddys house. Now I tried it up nthe right corner itn said wifi an then I tried blu tooth neither worked.

ndhill1976

Reaction score
I have been using the wireless tether on my droid, and I have found that other phones have trouble finding it. I did try it on a friend's IPod, and I had to change IP addresses for him to find it. While the other phones and devices can not find it, I have tried a couple of laptops and they found it and used it with no problem.

BTW, it is "follow", not "fallow".

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

SSID? Sorry new to this stuff no idea what that means.

An also that's the thing he picked up a secured wifi from my other buddys house. Now I tried it up nthe right corner itn said wifi an then I tried blu tooth neither worked.

SSID is just another way of saying "name of the router" so like at home your home is probably "house" or "linksys" or something like that when you search for wifi spots the names that come up are SSID's so when you use the wireless tether it should say "androidtether" and it should be "non secure" thats the one someone would want to connect to.

bigredcape

Reaction score
how can I change the SSID, I tried it once and it didn't work. I want it to be secure so only I can use my wireless tether, no one else? How do I do that? Also, what is the "enable AC"? what is access control, what happens when I enable it? keep it disabled? how to block other people from hopping on? Im a noob. Thanks for the help and advice!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP, if I understand correctly, your test was connecting your rooted Droid to an unrooted Droid. If that is correct this linkhttp://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-forum/75008-tether-droid-droid.html may help.

Mike