Wireless Tether Fix/Work Around

Reaction score
This is a repost of what I wrote down on someones elses thread. Better to share the knowledge with everyone now instead of reposting every time the question is asked. Cheers and happy tethering.

Step 1. Go to this link via your phone and download this version of Wireless Tether,

wifi_tether_v3_1-pre101.apk - android-wifi-tether - WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.1-pre101 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

Step 2. install it, duh!

Step 3. Go into settings and follow this down to the letter,

Change Device Profile-Motorola Targa
Change Setup-Method-Dont touch
Enable Wifi-Encryption-This is a must because with out it, no device will not see your SSID, have to manual enter them ie. laptop to connect.
Change Passphrase-Has to be at least 13 letters/numbers. By default it was setup with abcdefghijklk. Either keep it like that or change it.
Change SSID-Change to what ever you want it to be
Change Channel-I had a couple of my friends try different setting and seems to work but for best results use "Channel 06(2437)"

DO NOT ENABLE ACCESS-CONTROL- very buggy, sometimes you'll see your SSID but nO password attached, meaning its an open wifi even though its not.

Everything else leave them alone, if you want, unless you like the vibrate feature....

Now from here back out from from Wireless Tether and go back, Someone said that you might need to force close the app via app manager. I didnt have to but try and see if that helps. From there you should see the app start with your data usage at the bottom. Next go to anything that can get WIFI. I used my laptop, my Transformer, and my Xbox. Works fine with no problem. The only thing i have problems is that the Razr 4G drains battery like crazy.

*Update
Some ppl have said that on 3.1 beta6, all you need to to is enable encryption and you should be find... couldnt get it to work.... not on mine, not on my friends, not even the store display...lol

Last edited:

crwys

Reaction score
Hmm thanks for this bookmarking.

I hope to find a more simple way for Wireless Tether on Droid Razr without setting up certain names and encryption.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its really not complicated...all he's saying is download and install the .apk and then open its settings and check "enable wifi encryption"

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk

crwys

Reaction score
Actually "all he is saying" is:
Change Device Profile-Motorola Targa
check "enable wifi encryption" - After you check this you must set a password.
Change Channel-I had a couple of my friends try different setting and seems to work but for best results use "Channel 06(2437)"

I never said it was complicated.
Example: On my Droid X all I have to do is click a widget and my wifi tether starts. No need to change any settings besides SSID because I wanted to.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to be rude. You said you wanted a more simple way. It really doesn't get much simpler.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I see I've wasted my time. Sorry for misinterpreting your post. It wont happen again.

OP
M
Reaction score
You guys are to nice. I only posted this in full and in its entirety is because in every other thread this question gets asked and you always get broken questions of what did I do with this setting or this setting. Believe me when I say I could of made a simpler setup with just saying turn it on and hope that it works. Purpose of this is for anyone who doesn't know how to setup wireless tether or hasn't heard of android.

bros

Reaction score
I find it much easier if your rooted, the easiest way for me to get free wifi hotspot is to use sqlite and change the entitlement from 1 to 0 reboot your phone and that was it. work great!.

jacobjer

Reaction score
I've got the stock hot spot app working...rooted using the droidrazrroot.com method (easy as pie). Now if someone can get it to allow me to open view all sites vs just sit there and load they'll be my best friend (at least for a day).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jtsativa420

Reaction score
Agreed the sqlite is the easiest way to get wifi tether. I have used it over 10 times on 3 different bionics and on my razr!

Here is the video for those unfamiliar with the process.

[video=youtube;nKRwzq6Y2H8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKRwzq6Y2H8[/video]

bodieism

Reaction score
I've got the stock hot spot app working...rooted using the droidrazrroot.com method (easy as pie). Now if
someone can get it to allow me to open view all sites vs just sit there and load they'll be my best friend (at least for a day).

I wonder what's causing certain webpages to hang up like that? I also have the stock hotspot app working and have found that phonescoop, motorola, and amazon all give me problems. Phonescoop and motorola won't load at all while amazon does just fine until I click on the my account tab. It will load my amazon account info, but it does it extremely slow and when it finally gets done it won't be displayed correctly.

jacobjer

Reaction score
I know I'm rooted but superusers doesn't show wifi tether in the app list? Hummer? Got.it working last night...my hang up was the password ...u have to change it...at.least I did before it worked for me...the program says its granted superusers permission ...but nothing in the app list for superusers...normal?

jacobjer

Reaction score
Figured it out....going into task manager and killing the program and then restarting it was the trick....