1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Wireless tether errors

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by BrianUSA1, Aug 16, 2010.

1. BrianUSA1

BrianUSA1 New Member

I am having trouble with the access control and encryption.

On the google code page i saw others were having thhe same problems basically, enabling either the access control or encryption prevents, or stops the tether

The post on the code page said "The problem you're having isn't a problem with the application, it's with your kernel. It was configured and compiled without all of the necessary netfilter options.

Walking you through the steps is a little out of the scope of this project, but you need to make sure that the kernel configuration includes both CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MAC=y
    and
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MULTIPORT=y

"

Can anyone here confirm this is the issue with BB v0.4 and point me to a solution?

Thanks!

Good luck!
  2. BrianUSA1

BrianUSA1 New Member

In case you find this page when trying to solve this yourself, the solution for me was to switch to a P3 kernel. Lots of info around on this. I used the P3 Low Voltage 125 - 1100 version...after a few reboots and some usage, everything seems to run relatively faster, and the access control and encryption features of the wireless tether work as expected.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I successfully tether my Droid and Mac Book Pro on a regular basis. The only issue I need to turn access control on before the devices connect. Once connected, I disable the access control. Here are the steps I used (note they are old but still work) If you want to WiFi tether, keep going, otherwise skip this section

All new kernels/ROMs should have WiFi tether, but if they don't you will need to download the apk file from here and install it using steps 56 or 57.
    56. You can either download Astro File Manager (free, not a bad program) from the market....

57. ...or Root Explorer (paid app, much much much better and something we will be using later on the guide).

58. Make sure under settings > applications you have "use unsigned applications" or whatever it says. Top box. It will give you a warning but just ignore it.

59. Navigate to the file you just downloaded and click it. Do not explore the file in Astro, but choose open and install. In Root Explorer just choose install.

60. My settings for WiFi tether are...uncheck use Bluetooth, check Enable WiFi Encryption, set up a passphrase (make sure it is 13 characters), change the SSID or leave it default (I left it default), Change channel to 07, power mode active, enable access control unchecked (my preference), change LAN first option, everything else left it the way it was.

BTW Great avatar!

Mike
Search tags for this page
android wifi tether failed to start ap
configuring ap failed wifi tether
configuring ap failed wifi tether razr

dna tether configuring ap failed

enabling access control failed wireless tether
error starting wifi tether

mengatasi access control wirreles tether failed

starting access point failed
starting ap failed wifi tether