Wireless Tether Error

Jarllax

Reaction score
I've posted elsewhere and noone could help me, so maybe someone here can help. The problem I am having is with the built-in wireless tether. Every time I try to enable it it just says 'Error' and disables itself again.
Is there some other setting I need to enable first for it to work? Anyone else having this problem? It has been the same since I started using Miui back on version 12/11/10, now using the latest (1/28) and it's still not working.
Thanks for any help.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

tp4bama

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i dont think the built in one works, download this link and you should be good to go

OP
J

Jarllax

Reaction score
i dont think the built in one works, download this link and you should be good to go

Thanks a bunch for this, want to have the wireless tether working for if/when the wifi version of the Xoom is released.

jsheffield

Reaction score
Wireless tether works on Droid 1. You can tether from IOS or Windows, but not Android, aka XOOM.

frostthejack

Reaction score
Actually you can now as of 2.2 adhoc is supported on android.

jsheffield

Reaction score
That's what I thought as well. However, my XOOM can't see and therwrote won't connect to my Droid 1. I even tried v3 of wireless tether without success. What am I doing wrong?

kamisan

Reaction score
Adhoc us not really supported. The tiwlan file is not there and you need to mod wPA_supplicat file as well. Do not just download some ones file and overwrite or you will loose all wifi. These mods are done Ob the xoom end not d1. I have a Samsung tab and the same issues before Modding it

jsheffield

Reaction score
Thanks, Kamisan. Is adding tiwlan and modding the wpa_supplicant in the MIUI kernel something a relative newbie could do? Or, is this something only the well versed should attempt?

kamisan

Reaction score
Thanks, Kamisan. Is adding tiwlan and modding the wpa_supplicant in the MIUI kernel something a relative newbie could do? Or, is this something only the well versed should attempt?

Well, yes and no. There is an APP for that,, sort of,
ad-hoc network on my Styleflying GPAD G10 | HydTech

HydTech's adhoc wifi ~ Android Application v2 By HydTech | Tools
Hydtech steps you through the process then has an app to enable the ad hoc portion. This might be the easier of the ways to get there, for me I used Gscript another app, and have it enable ad hoc and disable it. Prior to that I had replaced my WPA_supplicant file and lost my wifi and really ticked off my wife (who the tablet belongs to....) and I did it in the wee hours and forgot to backup the old file (really dumb) I used ADB to do it (the android PC dos based software to get into your device if you want to nerd out)

If you do a little googleing XDA forums has alot on this, and as long as you back up you should be ok. And backup is either a full rom backup (must be rooted) or using ADB pull the files and save them before you change or replace them. WPA_supplicant id OS specific, I.E> if your running gingerbread you need a gingerbread version etc..

Me I like dinking around with my android devices, Ive bricked my phone a few times and recovered every time (so far) and rooted everything I wanted to.. (again so far)

If you try and get stuck send me a message, cant promise I will have every answer but I will try~ http://img.droidforums.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif