wireless tether and 0.5.2?

amajamar

Reaction score
Does android wifi tether work with this rom? I have been searching through the forum and found many posts regarding this but can't find one regarding 0.5.2.

I would love to get this enabled, but I am new to rooting and romming and need some guidance.

thanks in advance!

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Woah, you are still on version 0.5.2?? That's Android 2.1 :p

I think it's time for an update my friend. Once you update to the newest version here, you can download the app from the market. Just search wireless tether.

OP
A

amajamar

Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, yeah! I know it's time to upgrade, but I just rooted the other day for the first time, and it was such a pain to reinstall and get everything cleaned up again, that I thought I would mess around with some 2.1 ROMs for a while until I had time to get to 2.2.

I suppose you are saying it won't work...:icon_eek:

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, it will most likely work, but you are missing out on a lot of updates and a way faster phone since that version, which I am surprised to still see someone running :p

OP
A

amajamar

Reaction score
Well, I guess the question should have been, How do you make it work?, as I have tried and it force closes and then causes the phone to reboot repeatedly. The developers page talks about compatible kernels, I wonder if that's the problem and if there is a kernel that will work with it.

Of course, if I just upgrade to 2.2...

triplecrown

Reaction score
Just flash the latest rom and you won't have any problems. It comes with a default LV 1000 kernel and in Gem settings you can set the governor from there so no need for Set CPU. If you don't feel like "cleaning up your screens" again, you're in for a rude awakening. There's always an update, or a new theme or a new rom. Don't worry, after a couple of weeks you'll get used to it and feel like a pro. And just keep searching for answers and ask as well.

miasmata423

Reaction score
Just flash the latest rom and you won't have any problems. It comes with a default LV 1000 kernel and in Gem settings you can set the governor from there so no need for Set CPU. If you don't feel like "cleaning up your screens" again, you're in for a rude awakening. There's always an update, or a new theme or a new rom. Don't worry, after a couple of weeks you'll get used to it and feel like a pro. And just keep searching for answers and ask as well.

Not to mention that LauncherPro, ADW and others have the option to backup your screens so that after a wipe and install you can just restore your state. Apps come back natively, so you're pretty much good.

OP
A

amajamar

Reaction score

Not to mention that LauncherPro, ADW and others have the option to backup your screens so that after a wipe and install you can just restore your state. Apps come back natively, so you're pretty much good.

When you say "apps come back natively", does that mean that I don't need to reinstall with Ti Backup? Even after a complete wipe? When I rooted for the first time, I reinstalled with My Backup Pro and then all my market links were gone and everything else, are you saying that I should have just waited and everything would reinstall itself? :icon_eek:

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

When you say "apps come back natively", does that mean that I don't need to reinstall with Ti Backup? Even after a complete wipe? When I rooted for the first time, I reinstalled with My Backup Pro and then all my market links were gone and everything else, are you saying that I should have just waited and everything would reinstall itself? :icon_eek:

They can come back, and most of the time they do, but I always back them up with TB just to be safe.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mjones73

Reaction score
Froyo (2.2) will restore your apps after you activate the phone for the first time, best thing is to just log into your google account and let the phone sit for 15-30 mins, you will get a notification your apps have been re-installed. You will of course need to reconfigure them all going this route.

As for 2.1, as long as the kernel supports wifi, find "wireless tether for root" in the market and tether away.

OP
A

amajamar

Reaction score
Great advice, thank you all!

Did the upgrade today (BB), it was a great experience! All my apps came back within 10 minutes. I didn't even need to reactivate the phone. Just logged in to Google and... done!

Even Wifi tether!

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great advice, thank you all!

Did the upgrade today (BB), it was a great experience! All my apps came back within 10 minutes. I didn't even need to reactivate the phone. Just logged in to Google and... done!

Even Wifi tether!

Should have went to Sapphire 1.0.0 :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, lol, came in here for advice and then you install BB?! Sheesh! ;)

j/k, glad you got everything up and running. :)

OP
A

amajamar

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I suck! Well, the good thing is, now that the fear is gone, I can flash Sapphire, as well!

I love this rooting thing! I can't believe I waited so long!

You all are great!

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I suck! Well, the good thing is, now that the fear is gone, I can flash Sapphire, as well!

I love this rooting thing! I can't believe I waited so long!

You all are great!

Seriously, since you're new, go ahead and check out various people's work, see what runs best for you.

You'll be back. ;)