Wireless teather

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by randroidran, Jun 24, 2011.

1. randroidran

randroidran New Member

Im currently using a DROID x and just got a samsung tab 10.1 and I want to tether and of course it doesn't work on gingerbread unless you pay. So I was thinking of going back to my og droid so I can tether. Im just making sure before I make the jump that you can still wireless tether on gingerbread roms for og DROID.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  2. xaelith

xaelith New Member

From what I understand, unless the device you're trying to tether with is rooted, Verizon requires you shell out more and go with their tethering plan. I have Moto Droid with 2.2 Froyo, and when I set it to tether, if I use the browser on the phone, or on the computer it's connected to, it redirects me to Verizon's little sign-up page. Since I'm already paying $30/mo for the unlimited, I don't get how they can justify charging me $20/mo more to use an option that comes as part of the phone's base functionality.

6/24/11 @ 7:11pm - Edit: I just rooted my phone an hour ago, and I still get redirected to Verizon's tethering subscription page :/ I'll try again when I've loaded a ROM, but I'm guessing that I'll probably get the same results.

6/25/11 @ 6:13am - Edit: Loaded Sourcery v2.2 and tried tethering briefly, and it worked; no re-direct! It's not often I'm glad to be wrong, but this is one of those moments. With that said, I believe the results would be the same with any ROM. Just a few words of warning, though: rooting your device DOES void the warranty, and there isn't any one right ROM, if you do choose this option. Some have higher success rates and a wider array of features, but every device is different, even when it's the same model and OS (or at least that's the word with Moto Droids).
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  3. xaelith

xaelith New Member

Oops, sorry...guess I should have read the post a little more carefully. Yes, based on what I've recently discovered, a gingerbread or froyo rom will allow you to tether without getting redirected to the lame tether subscription page. As stated in the previous post, I flashed Sourcery 2.2 onto my OG Droid (which is based off of 2.2 Froyo), and was able to tether without any problems. Good luck :)