Wireless costs spiraling out of control

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by KJW979, Sep 2, 2011.

1. KJW979

KJW979 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I know I'll get people telling me to stop complaining & deal with it, that if I don't like it don’t buy it or use it but it seems to me that if it keeps going as is the average person/family won't be able to afford to use a smartphone/data. Seems everyday there is a new announcement about one or another wireless company raising costs/fees or doing away with something once provided free that will no longer be free. Data plans now more expensive, average phone costs upward of $299 on plan(how much next year$399), termination fees rising, now Sprint doubling upgrade fees. Currently I pay $200+ for family plan on Verizon for 3 smartphones. When does the line get drawn on need, for me it is only phone as have no home phone but someday soon may have to rethink. Anyone else in same boat?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

2. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +63
    I'm going to try my best not to be rude here.

Have you ever thought of switching to a cheaper service? If you really feel like you're paying too much then you should definitely consider other options. Also, most smart phones don't cost $299. Only the top tier 4G phones from Verizon cost that much and there are several authorize sellers where you can get those phones much cheaper than through Verizon's website or store (Amaxon, Costco, Sam's Club, Wirefly).

Yes there is a line for everyone, you just need to figure out what's best for you and your family.

3. googlelover

googlelover Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Jumping on any discounts you see helps a lot too, I'm on a 3 line smartphone plan and we pay 160 a month, 22% discount from my moms work + all three data lines on a talk text + data plan that lowers the data costs by $20 each. Verizon has great discounts, just gotta keep your eye out for em and jump when they appear.

4. nikecar

nikecar Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I was going to buy the Revolution for $99. but got the DroidInc2 for $49 in order to make it with unlimited.

i'd never pay $300 for a phone, i'd wait until it comes down in price.

As the arkbird says, you can go cheaper service. You have to consider what it best for you. Does your job offer discounts? Mine offers 20% off data plans, and a shade under that for voice. Others are more and others less.

5. KJW979

KJW979 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I do get a 22% discount, which comes offmain line only. Knew I would get naysayers. Just was making general statement about fast rising wireless costs, point proven.

6. googlelover

googlelover Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Nobodys saying your wrong, hell I agree with you, prices are going sky high and no one seems to care because if you complain now a days people say throw your money at Verizon or GTFO, we were just telling you there are ways to pay less

7. KJW979

KJW979 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Understand that, still locked in on my 2 years, lol, will re-evaluate when up. Just see it as someday general population my be priced out of affording smartphones, or as will happen they will sacrifice something else to keeping said smartphone.

8. grinchy

grinchy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    could always go to metro or boost :)

9. spider210

spider210 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If you don't travel and get good service at home. Get straighttalk and stop complaining

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

10. googlelover

googlelover Member

Ratings:
    +1
    ^^ hey look they arrived...

11. KJW979

KJW979 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yea, knew it would happen, can't state anything without being called a complainer by someone, lol. I do fit into category of giving up one thing to keep another, so not complaining just stating a fact. Thank you.

12. AdamPA1006

AdamPA1006 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I am suprised that much cheaper companies like Tmobile, Sprint, and Metro arent gaining customers as fast as Verizon. All it shows are people are willing to pay for the best coverage, and sometimes expensive phones.