Wireless charging...it's a rip

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
After seeing the promo for the S4 including the ability to wirelessly charge the battery, I thought that was a cool feature. It is. But what they don't tell you, you have to buy the charging pad itself, $70 bucks, a wireless charging cover, $50 bucks, and, last but not least, an internal charging adapter, $25 bucks...grand total, $145. So that little charging cable costs how much, again?

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I assume you have to be naked to use it...the phone I mean... no case. It would make it interesting if the user had to be naked too. I can imagine it now...business meeting: "Excuse me guys, I gotta charge my phone...RIIIIIP! AAAAAHHHH!
Sorry for the weird diversion. Will it work with a case on the phone?

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ummm.. not sure how to describe that... Well, I have one on my desk at the office. So, I leave it on the charger when Im not literally using it, so my phone never technically gets below about 95%. I would say a full charge takes about 2.5 hrs? It's not as fast as hard wired, but it's definitely nice. If I want a fast hard charge I use the one for my Nexus 7, it has a little bit more charging ability.

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
I'm not sure I see an advantage to wireless charging that's worth ANY extra cost. I mean, how much harder is it, really, to plug a charger into your phone instead of setting it on a charging pad? Is it worth $40 or more to avoid that effort?
It seems to me (and it's true, I've never had wireless charging) that a charging pad is more limited than a wall charger or even car charger. A wall charger seems more portable, while you have to go to whatever room the charging pad is in to set it down. If I lost the wall charger, it would be less of a hardship than losing the charging pad.
I'm not knocking wireless charging: if the equipment had been included with the Note 2, I'd surely be using it all the time. It just doesn't seem worth extra money to cut out the small step of plugging in your phone to recharge.
Can anyone offer any perspective? thanks!

reybie

Reaction score
If I had one I'd probably use it for home where I can put my phone on it before I go to bed. I cannot justify the additional cost though :)

jseah

Reaction score
I'm not sure I see an advantage to wireless charging that's worth ANY extra cost. I mean, how much harder is it, really, to plug a charger into your phone instead of setting it on a charging pad? Is it worth $40 or more to avoid that effort?
It seems to me (and it's true, I've never had wireless charging) that a charging pad is more limited than a wall charger or even car charger. A wall charger seems more portable, while you have to go to whatever room the charging pad is in to set it down. If I lost the wall charger, it would be less of a hardship than losing the charging pad.
I'm not knocking wireless charging: if the equipment had been included with the Note 2, I'd surely be using it all the time. It just doesn't seem worth extra money to cut out the small step of plugging in your phone to recharge.
Can anyone offer any perspective? thanks!

I think the advantage of wireless charging is that you don't need to constantly plug in and unplug the micro USB adapter. Eventually, the port could wear out. On my original Motorola Droid, after about 2-1/2 years of use, the micro USB cable would no longer hold securely in the port and if you just bumped the phone with the cord in it, it would pop out.

Now if you're the type that replaces their phone every six months to a year, this won't really be an issue, but if you're the type to hold onto your phone forever (in technology terms), then it could be an issue.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the advantage of wireless charging is that you don't need to constantly plug in and unplug the micro USB adapter. Eventually, the port could wear out. On my original Motorola Droid, after about 2-1/2 years of use, the micro USB cable would no longer hold securely in the port and if you just bumped the phone with the cord in it, it would pop out.

Now if you're the type that replaces their phone every six months to a year, this won't really be an issue, but if you're the type to hold onto your phone forever (in technology terms), then it could be an issue.

Exactly, the plug/port is always the first to go on my phone.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I think the advantage of wireless charging is that you don't need to constantly plug in and unplug the micro USB adapter. Eventually, the port could wear out.

Bingo. That happened to my one month old Rezound. The port came loose on the inside. They replaced the phone. I'm sure that wasn't the best manufactured/attached port that came out of Taiwan but I'm sure plugging it in and out at least once a day didn't help.