Wireless acting strange

CecilXavier

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Droid X. I have never run a droid before. However I am a technician. I am not a novice user.
When I try to ping my phone over the network I am getting a lot of requests timed out. or pings in the range of 2000-4000ms. I have hooked several other devices to my wireless and found I can ping them fine. Including other phones (2 different iphones to be exact). In trouble shooting I have tried uninstalling my auto task killer. Going through and killing each service 1 by 1 to see what effect it would have on pinging. I have installed Spare Parts and told the wireless never to turn off. I have set my battery mode to Performance Mode. I have uninstalled any apps that I installed which there wasn't that many (task killer, choices of broadsides, compass, and WYSE).
Here is where it gets strange. I downloaded an app called Speed Test to see what it would say. Whenever I run the speed test itself, not just the app, my pings will go to 2-4ms for the duration of the test.
Anyone have any ideas?

OP
C

CecilXavier

Reaction score
Motorola doesn't seem to like motorola

So I have been playing with this all night. It would seem that at my home network things work perfectly fine. The difference? I have a $50 Netgear wireless referb. At the office I have a $2000 Symbol wireless switch. (Symbol is made by motorola). Go figure it doesn't work right at the office, but it does at home. I brought the $50 netgear in with me. Rogue access point anyone?

mwm523

Reaction score
I would guess that at your office it's either connecting to the N band instead of G, or you're using WPA/WPA2 with AES encryption. TKIP encryption works much better with the DX, as does G over B. Known bugs.

OP
C

CecilXavier

Reaction score
You are correct

I set up the cheapo netgear with Tkip and it runs like a champ. I am in the process of reconfiguring the g singal from our higher end router. I would have never found that if I didn't bring the cheap router in.