Wired tether doesn't work

DroidStang

Reaction score
I have the paid version of that, yeah works but was not allowing access to my VPN for work and other VPN I use, maybe there are settings, but none I could find, I also heard from the manager at verizon store he stopped using cause secure sites not working either? This the free or paid version?

OP
B

brad r

Reaction score
Free version blocks https, paid version does not.

THE LITE VERSION WILL BLOCK HTTPS, INSTANT MESSENGERS AND GAME CONSOLE TETHERING AFTER SOME TIME. IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE TO USE THE APP, PURCHASE THE FULL VERSION.

Still looking for a solution to the built in USB tether option.

DroidStang

Reaction score
So brought laptop in, I do not think you can connect simply by going to internet connection mode, your only option is to disable the network connection, as I said I have easy tether Pro (paid Version) and free PDANet, but I think I might have figured out why could not get on secure and vpn sites, I did not check UDP passthrough, which I did not remeber seeing, maybe missed that, but some reason easy tether won't launch so I did a repair and rebooted. Nope easy tether won't open..I'm uninstalling, anybody else see this quirk?

DroidStang

Reaction score
Ok re-installed easy Tether enbaled UDP, yep working now, able to get on secure sites, not sure why but about every other day the easy tether connect thing missing from tray and have to reinstall to work?

OP
B

brad r

Reaction score
I'm not interested in 3rd party apps. Wired tether is built in under internet connection mode; I just can't get it to work because it needs a driver. The pass-through option is if you want to use your computer's wired connection for your phone. What I want is the opposite of that.

DroidStang

Reaction score
Yes I know and why I brought my PC in for you, networking and wireless is what I do all day and the way you are going not working for me and not asking for a driver, the connection is there, only option is to disable, I don't know what elsethe thing wants tyo connect, I have played with firewalls and DNS, does not connect.....the pass through I'm not checking cause I can only connect right now tethered with easy tether or PDANet, or hook up my Blackberry and use desktop manager. sorry if anyone figures out, please share, should be cut and dry to me?

DroidStang

Reaction score
Brad....read this carefully....maybe this is the secret, I am not in a 4 G area myself.

The ThunderBolt has a feature called Internet Connection Mode, where you can connect the phone to your PC via a USB cable and use the 4G data network as the PC’s internet source. When doing this, we were able to use our FireFox web browser and run the regular SpeedTest.net web site. In doing so, we got a download speed of 11.53 Mbps and an upload speed of 6.50 Mbps with the ThunderBolt. We then removed it and used the LG VL600 modem, which gave us a download speed of 10.61 Mbps and an upload speed of 6.48 Mbps.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/HTC-ThunderBolt-Review_id2689/page/3

Last edited:
OP
B

brad r

Reaction score
Yes, that is the feature I have been talking about this whole thread. What I am trying to say is that when I try to use it, it asks me to install a driver, and if I try to let it automatically find a driver, it fails. I don't know what driver to use to get it to work, which is why I made the thread.

DroidStang

Reaction score
ok I will make one last suggestion only cause i saw it, i unistalled easy tether, when I reinstalled it, and you could try the free lite version, it said new hardware found, It said recommended find automatically and it went to that folder and loaded the driver..

thousandrobots

Reaction score
Brad, did you get this working yet? I have it working on my XP SP 3 machine at work, and will probably be doing it on a (virtual) Win 7 machine this weekend.

Did you see the drivers that are in the "CD" image that gets auto-mounted when you plug in the phone to the USB port?