Wiping with SS - Thing Of The Past?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by ChevyNo1, Jul 20, 2010.

1. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    OK, I think it's time to mention what other little goodie I slipped into 4.5 ...

I have been working on being able to install my new ROMS without wiping. And it seems a few of you have had great success doing so, specifically previous SS users.

I have had reports of people coming from other ROM's (like BB) without wiping and it worked great. Also even pre-Froyo releases, but I think that's gambling a little bit.

However - I would like for you, going forward, to first install without wiping ... and then let me know if you have issues. If you do, then try the bkapps/rstapps.

Looking forward to your feedback!

2. RossG

RossG New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Chevy, thanks for doing such great work. FYI, I came from SS 4.4 without wiping. SS 4.4 was a clean install with triple wipe. I performed the move to 4.5 using SPR. Things are running great since upgrading yesterday.

3. joebetsill

joebetsill New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On my Moto Droid, I updated to 4.5 from CM6-RC1 without a wipe, and it went smoothly after a bunch of force closes and a crash on the first boot.

One thing I did notice is before I updated I had ~28MB of internal memory and after I had like 5MB. Any idea where that memory is going? I imagine it's a bunch of leftover crap from CM, but I have no idea where to aim my "rm" at to free it back up.

4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy Member

Ratings:
    +0

Same here!

5. Jizzylax

Jizzylax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried going from SS 4.4 to 4.5 without wiping. I had some issues with icons. I was going from SS 4.4 Smoke Glass to SS 4.5 stock theme.

Not sure if that was the problem, but my market, talk, and a few other icons did not port over. I wiped and had no issues with icons thereafter.

6. Coolsaber57

Coolsaber57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Freaking fantastic work. Everything works. RSTAPPS is obsolete! lol

7. PapaDr0id

PapaDr0id New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    From CM 6 RC to SS 4.5 no wipe and all seems pretty good so far. Awesome Job Chevy!

8. amblefinie

amblefinie New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does this not lend to unwanted crap being kept around?

Honestly, I rooted to get 2.2 and have flipped around with BB, sapphire, CM, kangarade all without wiping and have never had a problem. I did, however, notice that I had all kinds of various tools and scripts and such laying around either unused or unwanted. I've also found TiBu to be quite a pain.

The draw for me for this rom was to have a supported backup/restore written for THIS rom. Also, when I read policies such of cvpcs about you must wipe every time to be supported (or some-such) gives me some concern about being happy to not wipe.

I am a s/w guy by trade, but I'm really not familiar with the innards of Android. So, is this really a good thing?

9. MrC1122

MrC1122 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    no wipe is the way to go...at least for me it was. i had issues with apps and a lot of fc's wiping. without wiping all i had to do was replace the music widget and like 3 app icons. WTG CHEVY! =}

10. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Well - let me just put it this way - after working for HOURS on bkapps/rstapps - I found another way that would accomplish the same thing. So I believe - and so far, the feedback has proven it true. Try it! :)

11. megawatz

megawatz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i wipe 3 or 4 times just in case....and the bkapps/rstapps is simply the best phrases you can type through an emulator.

12. mojo_droid

mojo_droid Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    went from kangerade 5.0.9 to ss 4.5 without wiping data or cache w/o any issues

13. Fault

Fault Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds cool, but I like to always wipe to be safe

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

14. jrummy16

jrummy16 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Chevy, i agree with this wiping suggestion. I think there are way too many paranoid flashers that wipe 5 times too many. The worst thing that can happen is that you find a sluggy rom so you reinstall with a wipe. But I too hardly ever wipe unless I come from a source built rom to a leak (then maybe).

15. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    aw, i loved bkapps/rstapps!

i'm so anal, i make sure i'm plugged into my laptop with the ADK on it so I can ADB wipe instead of the "normal" wipes...and I have no clue if that makes any difference whatsoever

i'm about to restore a stock nandroid fom a week or so ago and try going straight to ss 4.5 without wiping... if i can handle the emotional stress of doing such a thing :)