wiping data

hevm786

Reaction score
I have to "wipe data" on my phone to root. How do I wipe data and will it delete all of my stuff? Like pictures, apps, contacts, etc. Is it the same as a factory reset?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Why do you have to wipe data before rooting? What are you using to root?

To answer the question yes if you wipe data it will delete everyone on your phone and internal storage, so you will need to move things to the External SD card before doing that.

OP
H

hevm786

Reaction score
The utility gets stuck at waiting for device. I have done everything right but it won't work. I emailed mattlgroff and he said I will have to do a data wipe and it will work. How do I back ALL my stuff up? I don't wanna have to change all my setting and stuff again. And I don't wanna loose any of my apps, pictures, videos and other file.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I would back up all your photos, videos, and pictures to the external SD card and remove it prior to doing a data wipe. All your APPS will be backed up to the Play Store and you can even choose for them to be re-installed once your phone boots back up if you go into Settings>Privacy that will back up some of your custom settings.

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
Not that I would even think about questioning Matt, I'm curious as to why the wipe is needed (just trying to understand)? Does the computer recognize the phone and just the utility does not?

OP
H

hevm786

Reaction score
The phone is recognized by the computer, just not the utility. Is a data wipe the exact same thing as a factory reset? Also, should I check the box that asks to erase internal storage and data including applications, music, picture etc?

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yes those are the same thing and formatting the internal is up to you, if you didn't back up stuff then I wouldn't.

Also I kind of have to agree I don't see where a factory reset will make the utility see you phone, but if the man himself says it go for it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX.