Wiping and Bkapps/Rstapps

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by virtueoftheabsurd, Nov 2, 2010.

1. virtueoftheabsurd

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm coming from BB v.5, any idea whether I will need to wipe? And if I do, remind me how to use bkapps/rstapps?

Here's what I remember. First, I install bkapps.zip, then run bkapps -c. After I install SS, I run rstapps. Do I skip entering my account information when SS boots up for the first time? And does rstapps restore the data for my apps, or should I back that up with Titanium?

Thanks!

2. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I've had better luck using Titanium..works like a charm.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

3. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    At least when upgrading from an existing SS installation I suggest no wipe - you also can try the same and see what happens - however, before you do - grab the newest bkapps.zip (update.zip format), install, and run bkapps -c. Then just flash SS4.9 over top of BB with no wipe. If you do run into issues, then wipe, and through Tools you'll be able to restore (now in SS, all of my scripts are GUI based).

bkapps/rstapps will restore pretty much everything but desktop widgets - and of course, you could do it all with Titanium as well ...

4. Droid DOES!!

Ratings:
    +35
    Chevy is the man!!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

5. virtueoftheabsurd

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much for the help, Chevy! I'm cheap and haven't paid for Titanium, so I'll definitely use rstapps if I need to wipe.

6. k00ey

k00ey Member

Ratings:
    +0

I came from bbv5 when it was first released then flashed to chevys 4.8 soon after. didnt have any problems, but i DID notice that since bb has some of his own apps installed, i had a couple of duplicated apps(such as spare parts)

7. UltraDroid

UltraDroid Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 3, straight stock
    I'm going to talk heresy here, and say that I almost *never* wipe. For the most part, on both my Droid 1 and my Dinc., I just dump Ultimate Droid on top of Simply Stunning, then Succulent Desire on top of that - theme on top of theme - with absolutely no problems. The sole exception to the rule is Sapphire. That's a strange (but very GOOD) rom, and I've found that it's better to follow their instructions for installation to the letter. For all others, I just throw the new rom on top of the existing one and let it rip.

Is that a good idea for everyone? Probably not, but it's worked well enough for me over the months. My good friend StingRay is much more conscientious about wiping when he installs a new rom. Interestingly enough, it's he that seems to experience more boot loops and FCs, rather than me. Is it because he wipes, and I don't? Good question, I'm not sure.

-Mike

8. Droid DOES!!

Ratings:
    +35
    I didn't wipe going from UD 8 to TUD 1.0.0 and have no issues at all...plus my LED notifications are still there! dancedroid

9. UltraDroid

UltraDroid Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 3, straight stock
    DroidDoes, the expression is G.M.T.A (Great Minds Think Alike). :icon_ lala:

-Mike

10. swingnarnie

swingnarnie New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ADW launcher auto update - how to restore previous version

ADW launcher updated and wasn't working well, plus the UI changed. I tried to undo the update and I guess it uninstalled the launcher.

After I get the launcher installed, how do I restore all my home screens? If I use Chevy's restore will I lose anything?