Wiped phone, now process com.android.setupwizard - Force Quit

Daemonite

Reaction score
I have been trying to make my own theme, so I pulled Launcher.apk, unpacked, it edited some images, used apkbuilder to pack it, then pushed back onto the phone. Rebooted, no launcher starts at all.

So I figured ok, I can just use the "Factory Reset" function on the Boot System Recovery menu. Everything seemed fine.

When going through the steps to setup (or sign in) for a google account I get, process com.android.setupwizard has stopped unexpectedly... etc. Force Close. Then it restarts the google accounts process again.

I have restarted, cleared the cache, done another wipe, nothing seems to change this behavior.

Apparently I have completely misunderstood what exactly a Factory Reset/Wipe is because I thought it would just wipe out the standard partition and restore/overwrite Launcher.apk (and evertyhing else) for me...

Suggestions?

Last edited:

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope. A factory reset only wipes the /data partition. Launcher.apk is located in the /system partition....

Do you have a nandroid backup?

thatguychuck

Reaction score
Hopefully you made a backup of the launcher before you edited it! If so you might try pushing the launcher back to the phone. If not, restore from a previous nandroid backup? If you haven't made a nandroid backup, you might have to load the "virgin OEM" backup file that is floating around the forum.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah if you have a nandroid backup (which you should've made before editing, and made another one every time edited files are pushed back successfully) then in this situation, you wouldn't have to wipe /data at ALL. You're not even touching the data partition.

All you would have to do is get in adb shell, and type

format SYSTEM:
exit

And then restore your backup

OP
D

Daemonite

Reaction score
Ah. Good to know this... wish I'd done a little more research first.

I don't have Nandroid.

I do have a backup copy of Launcher.apk but I can't use adb to push it back because I can't get into settings (no launcher) to enable USB debugging. Is there some other way to enable usb debugging?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you flash SPRecovery when you rooted? Or did you use the DroidMod Updater or something?

OP
D

Daemonite

Reaction score
Pretty sure it was the Droidmod updater. Just an update.zip from the flash.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you used the DroidMod app, then take the battery and put it back in. Hold x on the physical keyboard and power button at the same time.

When the menu comes up, select "Backup/restore", then select "Advanced nandroid restore" and then choose "Choose Backup"

Pick one called "preinstall-blahblahblah"

then select "Perform backup"

OP
D

Daemonite

Reaction score
Ok, I know I didn't do anything with the Recovery part. So its just the yellow stock menu options. No Backup/Restore options.

I will consider that scary Verizon tool in an above post but want to see if there is any other option first.

OP
D

Daemonite

Reaction score
So I have gone through the steps to restore the entire rom (sbf file) and even though the tool reported failure after 100%, I now have a fully booting phone. I will thoroughly research backup options before doing any more modifying etc.

Thanks for the help in this nerve-racking time. :icon_ banana: