Wipe three times... for good measure?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by PetRiLJoe, Jun 26, 2011.

1. PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe New Member

When I go into recovery I want to select wipe data/cache once, and confirm it, and know that it has been cleared. Who started this "Wipe three times" idea and why? Does have any effect after the first wipe?

Does Clockwork Mod / SPrecovery (sp?) actually miss items the first time, causing the user to have to wipe not twice, but three times to be sure that the intended DATA wipe is successful?

I already have to press like 15 buttons to get to a wipe each time, because you scroll past several "NO"s to get to the confirm "YES" for safety reasons. I didn't read anything about "This also wipes 1/3 of your cache, do it three times to wipe 100% of cache"

So please someone go into detail on this, and why ROM Manager doesn't wipe three times.

Does RZR have this issue? I'd consider flashing RZR and going with RZR compatible ROMs.
  2. Bang Pow Boom

Bang Pow Boom New Member

RZR, you only have to push down 4 times to confirm wipe. Not sure where this came from, but I just do it to be safe.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  3. PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe New Member

Indeed I used to do it "to be safe" because that's the impression you should get. "WIPE THREE TIMES IN ALL CAPS AND MANY EXCLAMATION POINTS" kind of gives me the impression that I might screw up my phone if I don't. I have flashed more things than I care to admit, and now my fingers are tired, and have been on strike.

I just want to say I haven't "triple wiped" since pre-Gingerbread and have flashed many ROMs since then. My phone is still fully functional, but I am not doing this to prove anybody wrong, I am doing it because after many flashes I firmly believe the three wipe thing is a waste of time ... perhaps even someone Else's way of expressing the importance of wiping data. Now I'm just seeing if anyone can confirm the reasoning behind it, since it effects other decisions I make.

Thanks for that info on RZR, I plan on moving to it as soon as SS 5.4 - Chevy01 supports it.
  4. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

It's funny. Wiping three times literally makes no sense. However, whenever I have had boot loops, I only wiped once.....I always wipe twice now just to avoid such issues. Whether or not it's actually necessary, I couldn't tell you.

5. Bang Pow Boom

Bang Pow Boom New Member

Chevy does support it, since 5.2 at least. You just need the latest version. It's in the OP for ss.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/raidzero/107195-recovery-rzr-spr-based-update-zips-battery-charging-more.html

6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

That's the second time you've been right so far today. :D

I don't see how or why even a second wipe would be necessary. It doesn't make sense.
  7. PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe New Member

Thank you I just checked that out. I must be a little late in the game.. or I read his post wrong the first time. I am checking out RZR now.

Also I agree with it doesn't make sense. I hope someone can come up with some data or more information on it's usefulness. Otherwise, I'd love to stop seeing useless information spread around the forums, it's all over Bugless's ROM threads usually, even though I don't use BB, I try to keep up with it for future updates.

PUT THE RABBITS FOOT DOWN!
  8. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Going from a GB ROM back to Froyo usually needs more than one wipe.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  9. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

I'm just curious as to why that is the case though. By clicking wipe data/cache you are telling the phone to go through it's typical process. Would clicking it again not do the exact same process?

Not trying to start an endless debate, but if you have some information on why a multiple wipe should be necessary, I'd love to hear it.

10. B-boy™

B-boy™ Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel Theme Developer Premium Member

I never wiped more than once on froyo but I had issues in the beginning of gb and somehow wiping multiple times fixed those issues... but cvpcs wrote an article on why wiping more than once is a waste of time so it comes down to his genius vs what worked for me... so I dunno why 100's of users on here tell other users that are having issues to wipe wipe wipe and then wipe again if it's not needed.... I agree it makes no sense but if it works, it only takes like 3 seconds per wipe so go for it.... :D

Sent from an enV Touch
Search tags for this page
3 time wipe

android three wipes

android wipe three times

what is a 3 time wipe
why do we need to measure 3 times
why is it good to perform, a measurement three times
wipe data 3 times android