Wipe Data/Cache Before Kernal?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Krooked247, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Krooked247

Krooked247 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Looking for a little advice... EVERY kernal I try to apply results in some problem. Forced closing, Boot loops, overheating 130F from light use, random reboots. I have tried P3 and chevy kernals and neither seems to make a difference. Tried ULV to Med on all speeds but always get a problem of some kind(some worse than others). Is my phone(motorola droid 1) just not capable of any overclocking? Should I wipe data or cache or both before I install? Im currently running Chevys SS4.7(which i love) but cant get to run without errors do to the kernal problem im having. Don't need superspeeds(1320) or anything just wanted to make it to at least 1000 an stay running smooth, dont care about battery life so much. I dont know if its helps but I overclock and monitor temp with SetCPU( which sometimes seems like it gets "stuck" and needs to be reset sometimes). Everything is being installed with SPRecovery. I tried to include my info for better understanding(phone/rom/app/sprecovery). Any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Just want a smooth/reliable phone. Thanks for your time.

2. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +33
    You may want to look in Chevy's section to see what kernel they recommend. Also, remember that each droid is different and so your droid may not like the kernels you are trying to run. I would start by seeing what kernels are recommended to run with Chevy's roms. Then try those. If there is no recommendation, you can also ask someone in their thread what they are using or recommend.

3. Krooked247

Krooked247 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the reply. I have tried chevys kernals and assume they are the recommended ones to run on his rom. I think I'll post something in his thread though and see what anyone over there thinks. Thought maybe it had something to do with not wiping anything before I install.

4. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4
    If you wipe data before installing your kernel, it won't boot up at all since you're wiping all your data... with kernels and themes you should just install without wiping.

5. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to point out that that first statement is completely false, it will still boot up, it will just be reset to factory settings. Please do not post things that are completely false, as it is bad to spread false info.

On the other hand, wiping data/cache will not affect the ability of your phone to boot up. Based on the OPs description, as stated earlier, his phone might just not have the capabilities to overclock. I would recommend a 600mhz kernelor just run stock.

6. Krooked247

Krooked247 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    thanks for the advice its just a shame this wasnt working out for me as overclocking was my main reason for rooting and getting SetCPU. Feels like a lot of wasted time.

7. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life

Ratings:
    +4
    So if he were to wipe that ROM and try to install a 1.0 GHz kernel... you think it'll still boot up? I haven't tried something like that myself, but I'd be surprised if it would...lmao ... :p Since you're the only one with the 'know-all' knowledge.. I assume you wiped data and tried to install a 1.0 GHz kernel?????... :D J/ribbin' ya

8. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life

Ratings:
    +4
    It's been nearly half an hour and I thought I'd get a response back from Mr Yakuzagang...... but nada :( ...unless he's trying out his theory :D

J/K Bro... but you should understand what was actually posted before you attack (EDIT: oooops, I posted attach instead of attack...lmao ... :p ;)) another member...:dry: ...cheers

#8 Mbk, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  9. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, because I actually have a job. And yes, because wiping data/cache has absolutely no effect at all on the system partition that actually includes the rom. Wiping data doesn't touch it, just wipes apps and personal settings to return your phone to factory settings. So now you look like a complete idiot to everyone not me. I love when noobs who think they know everything post up stuff they think its true when they have no idea. Epic fail on your part

10. js0724

js0724 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First off, yakuzagang5 is right...now back to the OP...

Is 1000 the lowest speed you've tried? I would start at an 800 MV and work your way up with speed to your goal and then down in voltage. I would stay away from ULV kernels until you find something that works. I personally would not wipe data/cache as they don't really affect kernels in my experience and it allows you to test several kernels in much less time.

Also, are you sure you're overclocking correctly? I've seen posts before where people set their minimum clock speed to what they wanted to overclock to and had similar problems. You can do that for short periods of time, but don't need or want your processor running that fast at all times.

By the way, I'm running SS 4.7 with chevy's 800 LV and everything flies. I did not notice a worthwhile difference when I increased to 1000 or above since his ROM is already so fast.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. Krooked247

Krooked247 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the help. I've tried to follow the overclocking 101 guide on here by skull one as closely as possible. I started off with 800mhz on MedV and tried working my way up. Even at the MV 800 though i get problems. I can make it to 1000 and its pretty much the same problems at 800 and anything 1100 or higher is where it gets bad. I have SetCPU set up for my minimum to be 250 and my max to be 800 on demand. I have profiles set up on it to drop it to 400 max if the CPU gets hotter than 130F. I dont know if it is my particular phone or what, but it doesn't seem any faster whether I'm running it at 800 or 1100. Either way it starts to cause the phone to get "stuck" for a second or 2 after I unlock it. Between that and the force closes on certain apps it seems as though its not worth the trouble. I keep trying different things and set ups to try and get everything smooth cause im determined and I see so many people on here talking about how their droid "flys". Overclocking is really the main reason I rooted my phone. It has to be something since i find it hard to believe that everyone else can get an easy 800-1000 without problems. I don't know what it is but I WILL find a way to make this work.

12. js0724

js0724 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    One question...did you use the ROM for long before trying different kernels? If you tried to install kernel at the same time you flashed ROM there's a chance the ROM didn't flash well. Also, if force closes are your main problem you could try running "fix permissions" to see if that helps.

Every phone's hardware is slightly different so some unlucky ones do not overclock well. It seems very unlucky if you can't even run an 800MV though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Search tags for this page

do i have to wipe device to install a new kernal

do i have to wipe my phone to install a new kernel

do you have to wipe data and cache for kernel flashing

fdo i need to wipe before flashing a kernel

flash kernel wipe cache

should i wipe before i restore kernel

what do you do before flashing kernel wipe cache
what to wipe prior to flashing a kernel
wipe cache after kernel ?
wpire before flashing kernal