Windows Phone 7: What do you think?

mikespe

Reaction score
Fox News just did a quick review of the new Windows 7 Phone from AT&T and they gave it a big thumbs up. I guess it's neater and easier to maneuver thru the phone with the new "tile" system. It looked pretty cool but I haven't tried it yet. I love my D1 and probably won't switch to a windows phone...but having options and competition is a good thing for all ...

What do all you think?

mcapozzi

Reaction score
Looks cool, hopefully someone will produce a launcher with similar functionality.

The old grid layout with icons is getting old, and tired.

I think someone already came up with a custom launcher that tried to mimic the Zune interface. I wonder how close Windows 7 mobile is to the Zune UI.

-Mike

jloya

Reaction score
Looks cool, hopefully someone will produce a launcher with similar functionality.

The old grid layout with icons is getting old, and tired.

I think someone already came up with a custom launcher that tried to mimic the Zune interface. I wonder how close Windows 7 mobile is to the Zune UI.

-Mike

you can set up a tile type system for the droid OS, I have 1 window outta my 3 all tiled and it looks good, I agree the icons are getting old..for me its tiles and just simple words in the dock

jloya

Reaction score
Which launcher are you using?

Thanks,
Mike

launcher pro, heres a screen shot

snap20101110_125521.png

there is a mod that I have yet to implement which adds a live counter to gmail etc.

also the pic of my GF and I is no longer in the top right Ive added another tile, to lazy to update though lol

not to get off topic though sorry OP

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score

Thanks,
Mike

snap20101110_125521.png

there is a mod that I have yet to implement which adds a live counter to gmail etc.

also the pic of my GF and I is no longer in the top right Ive added another tile, to lazy to update though lol

Actually no...I would love to know how you did that!? That is AWESOME! I have been reluctant to purchase Launcher Pro + because of all the access to personal information it requires....Please explain since this would give the benefits of Android and the new look of Windows!

jloya

Reaction score

Thanks,
Mike

snap20101110_125521.png

Actually no...I would love to know how you did that!? That is AWESOME! I have been reluctant to purchase Launcher Pro + because of all the access to personal information it requires....Please explain since this would give the benefits of Android and the new look of Windows!

glad i could help :)

check out this thread;
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...roid-phone-7-seen-xda-forums-now-fits-d1.html

this is where I pulled all my tiles from, used launcherpro to resize and fit as needed....overall im really liking it

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not really impressed by WP7 right now. Maybe in a year or 2 I will be. Maybe if they can have multiple home screens I will like it more. I would get a WP7 over an iPhone tho.

WP7 just has some lil quirks right now that I'm not feeling. I know its a new OS and things may get ironed out later. To me WP7 is more style over function right now.

Me and some folks had a lil discussion about the grid on multiple screens vs. tiles on 1 screen. If one has lots of apps, does that mean scrolling down a long list of apps on WP7 home screen? If it does that doesnt seem too efficient to me. We already have to do that in the app drawer. I dont wanna do that on the home screen too...

I was one of the ones who thought I didnt need more than 3 screens. Right now I use 6 outta 7...lol. I may start using folders, but thats an extra click I dont have to do since I still have space on some of the screens and 1 empty screen.

I may look for an app drawer category app or a launcher that lets you puts apps in the drawer in categories. I forgot what launcher does it right now...

And thats another thing: can WP7 be customized like Android? Some ppl left the iPhone just for that reason. I cant see myself giving up customization.

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
I'm not really impressed by WP7 right now. Maybe in a year or 2 I will be. Maybe if they can have multiple home screens I will like it more. I would get a WP7 over an iPhone tho.

WP7 just has some lil quirks right now that I'm not feeling. I know its a new OS and things may get ironed out later. To me WP7 is more style over function right now.

Me and some folks had a lil discussion about the grid on multiple screens vs. tiles on 1 screen. If one has lots of apps, does that mean scrolling down a long list of apps on WP7 home screen? If it does that doesnt seem too efficient to me. We already have to do that in the app drawer. I dont wanna do that on the home screen too...

I was one of the ones who thought I didnt need more than 3 screens. Right now I use 6 outta 7...lol. I may start using folders, but thats an extra click I dont have to do since I still have space on some of the screens and 1 empty screen.

I may look for an app drawer category app or a launcher that lets you puts apps in the drawer in categories. I forgot what launcher does it right now...

And thats another thing: can WP7 be customized like Android? Some ppl left the iPhone just for that reason. I cant see myself giving up customization.

I use Apps Organizer from the market...I think it's the free version...it basically makes folders based on labels you create...not too bad but I am really liking this tile thing that jloya pointed out. I should be mad at him because I finally got my phone all set nice and not I need to mess it up again! :icon_ banana:

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
jloya...how do you feel about Launcher Pro+ having accesses to so much of your data? I know that is a big concern with the ease of identity theft in this day and age. Do you feel safe allowing full access to your information?

Thanks

jloya

Reaction score
Mikespe, sorry for the delayed response I left work yesterday and never got a chance to check back...so far after setting one of my screens with tiles I have yet to change my phone...and im actually surprised lol

as far the privacy stuff is concerned, while at first I was alarmed many apps that I use require this type of "security breach" you could say. I realized that it would be very hard to use a smartphone (or atleast use one how I use mine) without giving up some amount of privacy. In the end I just bit the bullit, im 21 working full time and going to school full time. Honestly if you hacked or took any of my information it really wouldnt be worth your time lol

now if I owned my own business or had a pretty important job than that would be another story...until then Im gonna abuse my X lol