"Windows Mobile 7 Series phone talk"

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by wuyanks, Feb 15, 2010.

1. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Microsoft offers up lengthy Windows Phone 7 Series video walkthrough -- Engadget

So,

new OS: Windows Mobile 7 ... check
    no multitasking... check
    bloated UI with not many enhancements, besides some graphical changes... check
    no Windows Phone, as rumored these past few weeks (Zune/Sidekick hybrid)... check
    no Flash at launch... check

am i missing something here? what's the appeal of the new WM 7?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. dwagner88

dwagner88 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't see anything in the hands on indicating a lack of multitasking. Looks like apps will run in the background like they do in Android. That interface is really slick, makes Android look really plain in comparison.

3. wuyanks

Ratings:
    +0
    that was the cynic within me talking. i read multiple reports that there is no multitasking, aside from music in background: this is addressed in

So Microsoft Ridicules Apple Over Multitasking. Surely the Windows Phone Multitasks Right? Wrong.

an interesting article, with quotes from Joe Belfiore, the director of Windows Phone:

4. wuyanks

Ratings:
    +0
    oh forgot to mention, XBOX live integration is really nice.. they promise some high-level graphics in games (better than that of PSP or DS)...

5. zudien

zudien Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Either way,

multitasking is a joke on android anyways. webOS is where multi tasking shines. From what the article says I think multi tasking may be present, it will be hard to say until it's released.

Personally I would like Android to have some sort of multi tasking closer to webOS. Where if my app is closed due to low memory I have some way of knowing before having to restart it. Heck even a close button wouldn't be bad. Maybe even a carosel of programs that are open than you can close or open, and you can access this after or a long press on the home button or maybe an icon in the notification bar pull pown.. Maybe I am in the minority here.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  6. gentlefury

gentlefury Member

Ratings:
    +0

Really? Wow...mine runs many many apps simultaneously without a problem. Funny, I've heard nothing but complaints about WebOS being slow and laggy and taking forever to load apps.

As for WM7 the UI is SO ugly! It is just text and boxes...I don't get why people are saying it is sexy. It looks like every other boring microsoft product. And I'm sure this one will be even more closed than iPhone.

7. zudien

zudien Member

Ratings:
    +0

8. HMJB

HMJB Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think this phone is real nice :)
    Really love the UI and the Zune/Xbox intergration

If I didn't get the droid and was still waiting.. I would have picked that one, heh

9. old no. 7

old no. 7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't say for sure if I like the UI having not used it, but I can say that if there's a slider phone with great music playing and a more open home screen (something closer to the Droid's home screen) in this series, I'm in. Microsoft has 22 months until my contract is up to come out with something that really rivals the Droid and pisses on the iPhone.

10. gentlefury

gentlefury Member

Ratings:
    +0

11. dos

dos Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it looks pretty cool. Will have to get my hands on one in person to check it out.

12. JonKyu

JonKyu Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's my two cents:

Pros:
    - Nice to see Microsoft pushing a "New" UI for their mobile devices, They almost seemed like prehistoric dinosaurs with WinMo.

- Mostly like the graphics.

- It makes me actually want to try it out.

- Makes me curious about Windows 7.

Cons:

-Way too many transitional animations.

-UI is cluttered sometimes, Typography is nice most of the time however the Big Title Type that moves slightly (even gets out of screen when flicking through the menu) is highly annoying.

- Seems like a whole lotta "flicking" through the menu just to get to a certain section, It's what i hate about iCrap OS too, no direct way to get back to submenu/a lot of breadcrumb tracking.

- "Feels" too "flat" I'm all for minimalism (simple and concise) but it's just way too flat for my tastes, atleast have some more variations of transparencies or something. I feel like they're trying to create depth but aren't sucessful at making it really nice.

- Feel like they slapped all the graphics on the UI to be more "modern, young, and different".

Good design isn't about trying to make a product "modern, young or different" it's about solving problems/making user experience much better in an interesting way. I feel they almost have it but fore some reason I still feel like they're trying too hard to be contemporary with their design rather than making it easier to navigate.

All in all very interesting, and am curious to see where they take this. I'm actually kinda excited. Oh and poo on Microsoft if it's true that these devices won't multi-task.

13. Narsil

Narsil Active Member

Ratings:
    +153
    Unless they have removed functionality present in previous WM versions, it does have multitasking. I have owned 5 WM devices over the years (2 of which were phones, the latest was 6.1) and all multitasked beautifully, even the ones from about a decade ago, running WM 2 or something like that.

14. brock

brock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i think the phone looks great. i don't know why so many people are talking **** on it. good job microsoft.

i won't be selling my droid for it though.

15. Master X

Master X New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Windows Phone 7 Series: everything you ever wanted to know -- Engadget