Windows 7 Phone

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by Wuzz Ranger, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Wuzz Ranger

Wuzz Ranger New Member

So am I the only one switching to a Windows 7 Phone when they hit Verizon? I love the Android platform but I cannot get over how much I really like the Windows 7 Phones.

I downloaded Launcher 7 from the Marketplace, this is what has me so intrigued about the new phones coming out.

More curious about what other people think.

I don't listen to music on my phone nor do I watch videos....so multitasking is something that doesn't concern me as much.
  2. silentbob343

silentbob343 New Member

Really thinking about it. Hoping some that have switched could come and give us a run down, i.e. pros/cons.
  3. WugFresh

WugFresh Developer Developer

I hope for you sake it comes with some serious antivirus preinstalled. Lol. Good luck. I think the only pro would be better in built exchange support, besides that... well... I will let you be the judge of that.

{{ WugFresh }}
  4. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

Xbox live sounds cool.
  5. Wuzz Ranger

Wuzz Ranger New Member

As far as Xbox Live goes, yeah it would be cool to see your status and maybe your friends. I won't be downloading games, from the UK reviews, I see that it takes a while to load the game up after you've installed it. The graphics on the downloaded games are expensive and the quality isn't the best. I would rather save my money and buy the game for the 360 instead.
  6. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

id consider it if the hardware were better on vzw, but that trophy is kinda lame...hd7 or something close would be more tempting.
  7. Stelv

Stelv New Member

Not to bash windows but their w7 phones are not selling too well and they don't have very many apps on the market. Who knows if development will slow due to poor sales. They are very far behind Android and Mac in terms of development. You would b getting a lesser OS it switched from Android or iOS. Also they are more susceptible to viruses.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. silentbob343

silentbob343 New Member

Not looking for unknowns and conjecture.

Viruses-In the latest pwn2own iOS and the BB OS were compromised, of note; "No conference participants have yet to challenge Google’s Android or Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7 operating systems." We can't really say how either would have stacked-up until they get put to the test. As it is most mobile platforms seem to require the user to download the malicious software and google has been the pretty bad at policing their app store, just check the front page for a fake android market security app.

Apps-WP7 hit 10,000 in less time than it took android.

Poor sales-WP7 is currently are only available on GSM carriers, one of which is the dead last carrier in the US. I believe sales will get better once a CDMA version becomes available.

So if anyone has switched or spent considerable time with WP7 please weigh in. My greatest concern is the lack of great google apps, i.e. navigation, gmail, translate, etc and inability to tweak low level settings such as wifi tether, overclocking, etc. So yes in terms of current features it is a lesser OS, but in terms of usability and design it is leaps ahead of android. I have tried several ROMs and currently running overclocked on Pete's GPA13, it's good...for Android. Eagerly awaiting honeycomb powered devices.

Since this will get mentioned...Lack of copy paste, while silly to omit, is a feature I have used only a handful of times and is coming in an update. By the time there is a CDMA WP7 phone I'm sure Copy/Paste will be available as well as multitasking. Hope Verizon takes their head out of their ass and carries a Nokia WP7.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  9. WugFresh

I'm not aware if you know alot about hacking or security, but in my opinion windows security is a joke. Compromising a windows phone will be much easier for anyone who knows what they are doing than trying to compromise an android phone. I would strongly advise against trusting microsoft to protect you from malicious activity, and when it comes to security, there is nothing that contains (and is used to transmit) more confidential information than your mobile device. Dont get me wrong, I use windows as my primary OS for all of my computing; its installed on all my towers and its on my laptop, but I will never ever (ever!!!) run mobile windows, or trust microsoft enough to use their insecure os on my phone... just how I feel. :)

{{ WugFresh }}
  10. silentbob343

silentbob343 New Member

Lol where am? The set of a PC vs Mac commercial...have no doubt all platforms have vulnerabilities. The one to receive the greatest number of threats will be the one with the largest market share, just like in the PC market. People looking to do wrong want to do it on the platform with the greatest potential targets.

Clearly the OP and I are not going to receieve the firsthand type of feedback we are looking for. I should go to a WP7 forum and talk to those that have made the switch and see what hurdles I can expect if I make the move.
  11. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

True. But it's my understanding that creating viruses for a linux platform is much more difficult then with Windows as well.

There's a lot of Macs out there and no attacks. And considering the amount of hatred I see in this forum for Apple you would think some lunatic would have done it by now.
  12. silentbob343

silentbob343 New Member

Exploits and security threats have actually increased on the mac platform along with its market share in recent years, security through obscurity only takes you so far, just ask Sony. It was one reason why the PC/mac commercials discussing security/viruses were so funny because security in Windows was getting much better and vulnerabilities/exploits were actually increasing on macs.

Like I posted in my earlier comment iOS was compromised at this years pwn2own along with BB OS using browser vulnerabilities. Saying there are no attacks is not true, at its core jailbreaking is an attack. Remember the jailbreaking website that was used to jailbreak iOS devices

Not sure how much WP7 shares with traditional Windows desktop OS, but MS has proven that it can make a decently secure OS with VISTA/7.

google voice, forgot to include that in my google apps I would hate to lose.

Well, looking at a WP7 forum I see a lot of things I don't like.

Email syncing seems a bit borked
    No drag and drop file transfer
    Need to use zune software to get files on phone.
    No reflow in the browser

These were the comments I was hoping to hear, not talk of potential security issues. Just have to wait and see how honeycomb does on phones.
  13. WugFresh

@silentbob, I'm sorry to prolong this security conversation, I know you just want the opinion of someone who has one (but why would they be on droid forums), I just need to clarify to you that windows vista and 7 are not secure and must be coupled with antivirus to be secure, android requires you to authenticate everything that wants to run, and comparing that with UAC is a joke, there are gaping security holes in windows, I'm not going to go into details but I will say this, because there are so many viruses targeted towards pc's already, hackers have a great head start.... re-implementing the same exploits on the phone will be easy.

I hope you find the actual information you were looking for, sorry for deviating the conversation.

{{ WugFresh }}
  14. peterjariel

peterjariel New Member

Does anyone know if I can put windows 7 on the omnia 2?
  15. silentbob343

silentbob343 New Member

I want to clarify I am not a Windows fanboy, I acknowledge it does have the highest incident rate and security issues, but this is due to its popularity and being the defacto standard as the PC OS. Look at the number of systems running Windows, mac, and linux. It's a numbers game.

Nothing is 100% secure; not Linux, not mac, not windows. I use MS security essentials on 7 and that's all, but ran XP for years without AV because I can avoid malware websites and trojans from sketchy file-sharing unlike so many. Was XP that secure, no of course not, but the user has a large chunk of responsibility in their systems security. How much of the WP7 framework is shared with their desktop OS is a question I have to ask as well. We've heard of and seen malicious apps on the android market, none of the four mobile platforms has proven to be exceptionally secure in my eyes. Perhaps WebOS, but then again it was more a case of not going after a tiny market that was dying.

As to asking a question a droid forum, look at the subsection we are in "non android smartphones". I currently have a droid phone and was seeking input from former droid users that made the switch.

Is it worth it? Do they regret it? What tips do they have fore those that are looking to switch.
  16. WugFresh

I understand your viewpoint and I also agree with you that the majority of attacks are due to user error and bad download practices. The most common exploits are designed to fool inexperienced users, like stupid popups or adds designed to trick people into downloading something they shouldnt. That aside, it still remains the least secure os due to their inability to distinguish and protect against the differences between an administrator and a user account, its not like unix/linux security with root access vs no root access, its just access lol. I don't run antivirus on android because its unnecessary, however if I had a windows phone it would be, that's all I'm saying.

The only that would be nice is better in built exchange support, that would be great. The rest just seems like its not worth it.

As for you posting in a different section. Sorry I had no idea, I'm on tapatalk, I rarely am aware what section I am in. Maybe you can physically get your hands on one, that's what I did before I bought my DX.

{{ WugFresh }}
  17. Gandyman

Gandyman New Member

I have an original droid and I am going to be getting a Windows 7 phone as soon as Verizon has them available. To be sure there will be some things that I will miss, especially at the beginning, for example:
    • SD Card expansion - The only windows phone that will allow user access to an SD card slot is the Samsung Focus, other than that all Windows 7 phones will not have user accessible SD card slots.
    • No direct access to the file system
    • Car Mode - Windows Phone 7 is expected to get similar functionality in the future with Bing maps, but in the meantime not having it will be a pain.
    • Non AppStore apps - Windows phone makes this much more difficult than Android
    • Gmail Syncing - This will be a tough one to give up, I have no qualms about doing a factory data reset on my droid.
    • OTA updates - Microsoft has been kind of squirrelly about how their update process is going to work, all I know for sure is that in order to do an upgrade the phone has to be connected to the Zune software on a PC, and a complete backup has to be done before the upgrade will install. It is safer, but less convenient.
    I know several people who have had windows phones since they were released on AT&T-Mobile, and I have had a chance to use the phones as well.

The UI, especially for the home screen is very nice. The tiles seem to be much more informative than the status bar/widget solution on the Android. The Office hub is very cool, and if you're a OneNote user you'll be very impressed. From what I understand the SkyDrive integration could be better, but I'm sure that's coming.

I expect to have better wifi performance, I have been greatly dissapointed with the flakyness of the wifi in my Droid. I basically have to be within a meter of a wireless router before my signal strength is anything other than poor, it's probably just my handset but it still sucks.

To be sure, Android is a more mature platform, and it has many more apps and features available, but the windows phone is using a fresh approach that is very appealing to me, and I expect that Microsoft will work very hard to get updates produced that will bring the Windows Phone features closer to the Android/iPhone offerings. I know that I will be giving up some features forever, and others I'll have to wait for, but I think that in the long run the windows phone will be a major player in the smart phone market, and I just plain like the user experience better.
  18. Wuzz Ranger

Wuzz Ranger New Member

Wow I certainly didn't think my post would go from one extreme to the other. Please let's not get on a discussion about mac vs. linux vs. pc's. Viruses are viruses and they do exist on every platform ranging from pc's to tablets to mobile phones. I'm not hating on anyone, I don't want to see this topic out of hand that's all.

I love all the features on my Droid 2 but some of the features I don't use. I see myself as more of a Windows Phone user if anything else. Now if only Verizon would get on board.

Thanks everyone for your posts, I read every one of them. All in all we really do have a great community here.
  19. flyinion

flyinion New Member

I'm debating it. A big reason is I love my Zune, don't have the HD one just a standard one, and I really like the Zune subscription model so being able to integrate two devices together would be pretty nice. At the same time though, I love Android so it's a tough call right now for me. Thankfully I have 6 more months on my contract to decide before I'm upgrade eligible.
Search tags for this page

android or window phones more susceptible to viruses

how to put android on htc hd7