Windows 10 Release Date Officially Announced; Pricing Leaked As Well

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
windows-10-release-date-price.jpg

The big news this morning is slightly off topic, but is highly relevant to tech fans. Microsoft just officially announced the release date for Windows 10. That date is July 29th. Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for folks who currently own a legitimate copy of Windows 7 or higher.

For anyone who needs/wants to purchase a retail copy of Windows 10, the pricing info on the regular retail version of the OS was accidentally leaked by Newegg prior to Microsoft's official announcement. As you can see in the image above, the Home version will be a bit more than previous editions of Windows Home, as it clocks in at $109.99. The Pro version will be a bit cheaper than some of the older editions, however. It is priced at $149.99.

Of course, this info was leaked prior to the Microsoft announcement, so it is possible these prices might change before an official pricing reveal. Here are the requirements to run Microsoft's next-gen OS:

Processor: 1GHz or faster
RAM: 1GB (32-bit) or 2GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16GB
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
A Microsoft account and Internet access

Sound off and let us know what you think of Microsoft's "next big thing."

*The release date is for computers and tablets only; the phone version will launch sometime later.

Update: The above pricing is for the OEM version of the software (purchased with hardware components). The full regular retail versions will be more.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not sure I can turn down a free upgrade...This computer is on its last legs, so I wonder if I can later use that new license key for the upgrade to install Windows 10 on an older computer running Vista (after retiring this one).

My computer probably could use a clean install, but otherwise I don't really want to do that work.

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
I've been running w10 for a couple of months. I like it, it really does feel like a natural evolution from windows 7. Windows 8 was such a disaster IMO. Only problem I have with it, for some reason the touchpad driver on my older laptop isn't working correctly. In fact if you accidentally brush against it it will blue screen your computer. If you are able to disable the touch pad, it's real nice.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Most of the techie sites are recommending the upgrade. I'm on Windows 7 now, and I'll probably be upgrading as long as it's a clean install.

Also, TechCrunch stated professional would be $199.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I've been using the win10 tech preview. I'm upgrading from 7 ASAP.

Gremlin

Reaction score
How do you guys get notification for free upgrades ? :p

Gremlin

Reaction score
Was gaming for like 3 hours did not notice anything :p .. Thank you !

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
If nothing else, do a manual check for updates. I did that last night and saw a notification there; never saw the Windows icon next to my systray until AFTER I clicked on "Reserve" in the Windows Updates.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I just got my email saying it would automatically download once it is available and use immediately. I'm actually pretty excited. This will be the first OS that I didn't dev preview first so I'm in for a complete surprise!

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I did an in-place upgrade from 8.1 on one of my systems a couple weeks ago and it was flawless. Note that ones you reserve it it will install a small stub necessary to do the upgrade so you sorta kinda committed. It isn't necessary to do that. Ignoring the icon won't hurt a thing. You have a whole year after July 29 to make up your mind.

The good things is that you have the ability for a limited time to roll back the upgrade.