Wimax @ 330 Mbps... Do You Want That? I Do!

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
wimex.jpg

Now this might not effect us patriot Verizon users, but gush darn it, I want this to. Over in Japan CEATEC was taking place today, and one of the stands was talking about super fast WiMax, WiMax 2. If you have not heard of WiMax, it's the 4G solution the Evo4G is running on and it is not what Verizon has plans for. This new standerd of 4G is not as great at LTE but we are not talking WiMax 2.

WiMax 2 works on WiMax 1 devices, but its clocked at over 330Mbps, which knocks everyone out the park. At that speed, you could download a whole movie in a couple of seconds, download music library instantly, and all that while on the go.

At this point there is nothing faster than WiMAX 2, and as such, it might be smart for that to be the 4G plan for Verizon. The sad news is, I think it is just a bit too late to the 4G (or is it 5G) party.

Anyways, even thought you don't have it... What would you do if you did?

News Via: Engadget

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
so this is on the evo??

and if i had speeds like that i would get rid of my internet from cox and just use my phone

right now im only getting 15 Mbps

everstar80

Reaction score
I can see that maybe at the end of next year, big red may use this type of technology. But i really hope the superphone looks like the pictures shown, especially with the blue keyboard and fast dual core processor.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I can see that maybe at the end of next year, big red may use this type of technology. But i really hope the superphone looks like the pictures shown, especially with the blue keyboard and fast dual core processor.

LTE is supposedly faster than Wimax and has better signal strength. I read somewhere Sprint will eventually convert to LTE down the road.

I don't think the theoretical speed is actually atainable on a phone. Its like the system Cisco was working one that was reported to be able to download the library of congress in less than a second. In thoery yeah but. Doubt it'll ever come to pass.

Sent from somewhere...

chaz.ring

Reaction score
But who even needs that on a phone? Just because its faster doesn't mean its better or needed.

I think your forgetting about us folks that live out in the sticks..... Only things available to me are Satelite and My phone. We used Hughes Net for over a year at $69.99 a month, and it was barely faster than my phone. We switched to using the phone as our hotspot and its is about 100 times more reliable than the satelite ever was..... Not to mention less than half the price.

I would love to be seeing half the speeds of this Wimax 2....

Chebyshev

Reaction score
WiMax 2 works on WiMax 1 devices, but its clocked at over 330Mbps, which knocks everyone out the park. At that speed, you could download a whole movie in a couple of seconds, download music library instantly, and all that while on the go.

330 Mbps = 41.25 MB/s if everything is perfect. Basically you'll never actually see that speed in practice.

At 41.25 MB/s, a 7 GB movie would take 170s to download. Even if it is just a SD DivX 700 MB movie, it would still take 17s. That is hardly "a couple".

importune

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

330 Mbps = 41.25 MB/s if everything is perfect. Basically you'll never actually see that speed in practice.

At 41.25 MB/s, a 7 GB movie would take 170s to download. Even if it is just a SD DivX 700 MB movie, it would still take 17s. That is hardly "a couple".

Its much closer to a couple of seconds than it is to a minute.

It is a faster speed than I get on my home connection, and if I could get it on my phone you bet your ass that I'd be tethering and never paying the ridiculous amount I pay per month on home internet.

BigZig

Reaction score
So will this be the speed in the field? I mean once you get a couple of million people sharing bandwidth will you ever see those speed on your phone. I doubt it.

importune

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Of course it won't be that speed- that is demonstrating the technology. There is no way any carrier could provide all of their customers with maximum performance. The point is, it's possible.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No you will most likely be lucky to get half that or even a quarter. I would like to see LTE first then make a decision. 5-15Mbps is really fast for a phone if you ask me. You will never see those speeds in reality, and not any time soon on a phone also it would kill the battery quickly.
That's the one thing holding up smart phones at the moment, the lack of a better battery technology.