Will Your New USB C Cable Fry Your Phone?

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

USB Type C is quickly becoming the standard in smartphones this year. It has a few benefits including faster data transfer speeds and the ability to plug in your cable both ways. Many accessory manufactures rushed to market with Type-C accessories. Unfortunately they did not build their products to specifications, and many users found these third party accessories were doing damage to their phone.

How can you be sure that the cable you just bought won't fry your device? Fortunately there are a few reliable resources to help you determine which cables are safe. Head to the links below.

Qualcomm Quick Charge USB 3.0 certification PDF
Benson Leung Google+ page
Benson Leung's USB Type-C accessories review Google+ page

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I recently purchased a G5 with USB-C. It doesn't have wireless charging, and can't be used with Micro-USB. I'm not happy right now.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I recently purchased a G5 with USB-C. It doesn't have wireless charging, and can't be used with Micro-USB. I'm not happy right now.
Those of us who bought the 6P all picked up at least a couple extra cables. I have the main one that came with the phone, a long one in the truck, & a short one that came with the phone in my nightstand.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I ended up going with Micro USB to USB-C adapters. I don't care about the fast charging, and I have a ton of Micro USB's laying around.