Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No, I will drop my service the first time I see an ad

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
netflix-branded-xbox-360.jpg

There was a report yesterday that Netflix was testing ads on their content. Netflix's CEO said they would not rely on ads to pay their bills. It looks like the ads they were testing were to advertise their own original programming. As a customer would you be willing to settle for ads or is it a reason to drop the service?

Sources:
Netflix is testing ads surrounding its shows update only its own
Netflix is testing ads for Netflix original content on Netflix The Verge

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I will not want to see ads when I'm watching. I may be ok with a popup every so often after a show asking if I'd like to learn more about another show bit no ads..

Note 4Tified

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I would keep the service. Mainly because I am about to be moving and we are killing our cable TV package and sticking with the internet from here on out.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would keep the service. Mainly because I am about to be moving and we are killing our cable TV package and sticking with the internet from here on out.

Check out slingtv. They need to add where you can watch on multiple screens though. If I am watching the game then someone else can not watch anything. Other than that I have been really liking slingtv.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Check out slingtv. They need to add where you can watch on multiple screens though. If I am watching the game then someone else can not watch anything. Other than that I have been really liking slingtv.

The only thing from Television that will be missed are sports channels in my household. I have a teen in the house and he is all about ESPN, NFL, FIFA, NBA, and the NCAA.

Will sling cover that?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes...sort of.

Sling covers Espn, Espn 2, TNT at regular price for additional $5 you get Espnnews Espn U, SEC Network, bases loaded, espn buzzer beater, goal line,

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes...sort of.

Sling covers Espn, Espn 2, TNT at regular price for additional $5 you get Espnnews Espn U, SEC Network, bases loaded, espn buzzer beater, goal line,
Thanks! I will definitely look into it.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
They have a heck of a deal on the Roku3 and the Nexus Player.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Roku 3 is the best overall device as you can plug an ethernet cord in as well as the ability to use USTVNOW.

I own both and feel like the nexus player has a lot of potential but have to say the roku 3 is king because you can use all the service and channels where nexus can not use amazon or other channels that have not made its way to the nexus yet. As far as UI the nexus looks much better. But the reality is you stare at the ui for a small percentage of the time so can not say that would be my deciding feature.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'll keep it, but I hope they're smart about it and do it tastefully. As Miller said, I wouldn't mind if it was tacked on to the end of another program or something, but part of what I like about Netflix is no commercials. I'm not in a position to drop cable any time soon, but that's the reason I DVR most everything that I watch, to skip commercials. It drives me nuts to have the DVR miss something and have to watch it On Demand when they won't let you pause or fast forward and force some commercials on me.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Roku 3 is the best overall device as you can plug an ethernet cord in as well as the ability to use USTVNOW.

I own both and feel like the nexus player has a lot of potential but have to say the roku 3 is king because you can use all the service and channels where nexus can not use amazon or other channels that have not made its way to the nexus yet. As far as UI the nexus looks much better. But the reality is you stare at the ui for a small percentage of the time so can not say that would be my deciding feature.

I would have to do a trial run of just using the television with Internet to see the average data usage. I'm sure the cable provider would watch our Internet consumption and invoke their data cap policy. They haven't so far, but up until now it has just been online gaming through PC's and consoles.

Hodor

Reaction score
In a heartbeat... I am sick of watching ads on services I already pay a fee to watch or use. If you don't pay its one thing, but ads on a paid service? ferget it! I would rather see my rate go up some than watch ads!

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree with Hodor. (Fortunately Netflix has already responded to this stating they will not be incorporating ads.)

Crackle uses ads in their service and it isn't all that bad. (Though they continue to be extremely limiting in quality content) But 1-2 fifteen second ads during a 45 min show, or 3-4 short ads during a movie isn't that bad for "free" programming. Last couple of years they actually had some really good exclusive content, but time will tell if they can continue to offer this type of free programming, and still remain relevant.
It's something my SO & I comment about frequently. Because we don't watch that much regular tv anymore, when we DO watch network programming, the ads drive us crazy. We've gotten so used to not having to deal with ads while watching a series via Netflix or Prime, it's usually not worth the trouble anymore to watch network tv.
I pay a premium for Netflix & Amazon Prime so i don't have to watch ads, and I'll continue to support them for many years to come for said service.
It was also one of the things that turned me off of SlingTV. All Sling does is bring you ad based cable programming. For $15 bucks a month, there isn't enough programming that interests me on Sling to pay that kind of premium. There is much better "ad-free" content that I can be wasting my time with.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Idk. I still think I could stand a tiny bit of ads while my price remains the same vs. having to pay a buck or so more a month. There's obviously a fine line there about when the trade-off does or doesn't make sense though, obviously.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Idk. I still think I could stand a tiny bit of ads while my price remains the same vs. having to pay a buck or so more a month. There's obviously a fine line there about when the trade-off does or doesn't make sense though, obviously.
Think they should split the difference, if you are willing to put up with ads then you get a cheaper service vs those who rather pay more for no ads.

Last edited:
Reactions: cr6