Will you buy a D3? Will you Devs build a ROM for it?

BRAINFIRE

Reaction score

Will devs code for yet another phone?
How do you decide which phones go first?
Will we even be able to see a speed difference?

It seems like were getting to the point where the
speed increase doesn't matter that much.
Sort of like personal computers.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I was going to trade my D2G for a D3 if I got hands on with it just to see it for myself and decide if it was worth the jump. Sadly with Moto pushing back the D3, I will no longer be able to use my 30 day return policy to swap phones, so I doubt the D3 is in my future, maybe a D3G or D4.

OP
BRAINFIRE

BRAINFIRE

Reaction score

Im just imagining great hardware, locked down software.
id rather have lower specs and a more hackable OS.
A great ROM brings much more joy than .3 of screen.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I hate to admit it because I used to be an android fanboy, but I think my next phone is going to be an iPhone. Not trying to start a flame war so I'll give the reasons why.

(1) Extremely poor build quality on these droids. Dust under screens, headphone jack crackling, keyboards falling off, etc. If a droid goes bad, you have to wait for them to send you a "certified like new" replacement that almost always has flaws out of the box. With apple, you just go into the store and they swap it out no problem right there.

(2) OS update policy. The android manufacturers and carriers are currently withholding software on phones perfectly capable of running it in order to sell new phones. With Apple you know you are going to be taken care of. If your hardware is capable of running the new software then you will get it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind one but probably not getting one. My contract isnt up for 19 months and i dont plan on buying for full price. I would definitely build for it though. Its gotta be easier than this d2g is =/

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
No because moto likes to lock down their hardware. I'm jumping to HTC

+1 except HTC's build quality sucks. With moto you atleast get a good phone even though its locked. Hopefully moto will hold true to what they said and start unlocking new models though.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I hate to admit it because I used to be an android fanboy, but I think my next phone is going to be an iPhone. Not trying to start a flame war so I'll give the reasons why.

(1) Extremely poor build quality on these droids. Dust under screens, headphone jack crackling, keyboards falling off, etc. If a droid goes bad, you have to wait for them to send you a "certified like new" replacement that almost always has flaws out of the box. With apple, you just go into the store and they swap it out no problem right there.

(2) OS update policy. The android manufacturers and carriers are currently withholding software on phones perfectly capable of running it in order to sell new phones. With Apple you know you are going to be taken care of. If your hardware is capable of running the new software then you will get it.

You actually make 2 very valid points. I don't know if I could ever bring myself to buy an phone though.

OP
BRAINFIRE

BRAINFIRE

Reaction score
I hate to admit it because I used to be an android fanboy, but I think my next phone is going to be an iPhone. Not trying to start a flame war.
I agree. Used both and iphones are the best in some ways.
but I just gotta have a keyboard and modding.

tb110895

Reaction score
No because moto likes to lock down their hardware. I'm jumping to HTC

+1 except HTC's build quality sucks. With moto you atleast get a good phone even though its locked. Hopefully moto will hold true to what they said and start unlocking new models though.

Moto's quality might be better but I've had more problems with them than HTC. Dust under the screen, keyboard not working, dead pixels, etc. I went through 8 Droid 2's and I'm on #9 and this one is starting to get dust in the corner of the screen, but its not touching the screen yet. Never had any problems with HTC

I'm not even taking this one back though. Too much trouble to go through

jeffcicale

Reaction score

You actually make 2 very valid points. I don't know if I could ever bring myself to buy an phone though.

Same here. I've always loved the iphone but I don't like the way they lock it down. I also use mp3's for music, which must be converted to even work with an iphone. I don't mind the flaws because of all the great benefits we have with android! Now to find which phone my favorite developers are getting.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am getting the D3 providing my test drive is good. If not then I will swap within the 15 or 30 days for a DX2.

ahC_hED

Reaction score
No more moto for me, unless big changes happen. Galaxy SII is looking to be my new sidekick, when it drops.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
BRAINFIRE

BRAINFIRE

Reaction score
Does it matter to you if it's hackable?
It sounds like you don't care about a qwerty keyboard.
I'm just imagining that it will only be a slightly better experience than d2.
a slightly better keyboard, slightly faster, slightly bigger screen.
Is that enough for you?