Will wiping my phone get root/clockwork recovery off?

Exiled44

Reaction score
I have been trying to install the OTA 2.2 and it keeps failing around 20% and just reboots my phone back up. I am rooted and have droid X clockwork recovery on my phone. I uninstalled the clockwork recovery but it still gives me all the options to wipe my phone ect when i reboot. Why isn't this deleting it. I have to take my phone back to the store to get a new one before Thursday. If they find out i rooted my phone then i will be stuck and have to get the leaked 2.2 I want the OTA 2.2 so my question is if i wipe my phone back to factory defaults will it erase every trace of root/clockwork recovery off my phone?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wiping your phone will not remove any modified recovery software.

Are you sure you're still running CMR? You know the stock recovery app has the option to wipe your phone....

OP
E

Exiled44

Reaction score
Whats CMR? I deleted the Droid X bootstrap recovery app but it still works when i restart my phone. Weird. I don't have any custom roms or anything. Just a few apps that required root that i deleted. Are you saying that if i wipe my phone through settings>Privacy that they can still find out my phone was rooted?

DHO

Reaction score
Wipe data, only eliminates the user information from the phone and resets defaults to factory. It does not change the software.

As far as I know, if you want to go completely "stock" you will restore from an SBF file. In the droid X forums, there are tons of links/tutorials.
Edit: can try this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/62916-unrooting-droidx.html

The real question is why would you want to remove root? Unless you need a verizon replacement phone, there is no reason. The only way they can detect a rooted phone is to inspect it in person.

Last edited:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why go with the OTA 2.2? As far as I can tell, the 2.2 leak is more stable.....

Either way, yes, as DHO said, the easiest and best way to return to stock is to flash using an sbf file.

And rooting your phone will only cause you to lose warranty support (assuming you dont revert to an unrooted state) -- not OTA updates as they come down the pipe.

OP
E

Exiled44

Reaction score
Wipe data, only eliminates the user information from the phone and resets defaults to factory. It does not change the software.

As far as I know, if you want to go completely "stock" you will restore from an SBF file. In the droid X forums, there are tons of links/tutorials.
Edit: can try this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/62916-unrooting-droidx.html

The real question is why would you want to remove root? Unless you need a verizon replacement phone, there is no reason. The only way they can detect a rooted phone is to inspect it in person.

That's the problem I AM ON 2.1 stock with root installed. I went to settings>about phone>system update and downloaded the OTA 2.2 update. I tried to install it but it failed at %20 percent and said install failed so i wiped my phone back to factory since the updates would not install and i repeated the process and the install failed again. Verizon and Moto said i did everything they would have tried to do to get it to work so they told me to go to a Verizon store and have them try to flash the rom and if that didn't work they would replace the phone with a new one that has 2.2 already installed. I just don't want them messing with my phone and discovering i have root or they won't replace it. I am still going to root my phone when i have 2.2. I just need to get rid of it for now. That's why i was asking if i were to do a factory wipe would they be able to find any traces of root? Thank you guys for helping. I am still learning about everything. It's a lot to take in lol. What is SPF AND CMR? Like i said still learning :)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
CMR stands for ClockworkMod Recovery, and an SBF file is a standard image file used
by Motorola.

Your questions have been answered, I apologize if you dont understand the answers. You should read up on on the rooting/unrooting and restoring stickies of the various "Hacking" subforums.

OP
E

Exiled44

Reaction score
I am doing that right now. Thank you guys for all the help...