Will we see ICS on the D3?

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
In light of the big announcement of the Galaxy Nexus and ICS, I was wondering whether we will see this on other phones such as the D3 or Bionic? Or will this be mainly for the Nexus and future phones?

B

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chances are yes. Any phone that came out after August (I believe could be off a month) will see updates for 18 months as per Google. Will ICS run well on a single core phone with less than a GB of RAM? Might be a little laggy.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Chances are yes. Any phone that came out after August (I believe could be off a month) will see updates for 18 months as per Google. Will ICS run well on a single core phone with less than a GB of RAM? Might be a little laggy.

Single core? Droid 3 is Dual-core.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My d3 has the same processor as the Bionic.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

SupperDroid

Reaction score
Hope there is a rooted flashable leaked OTA soon. COME ON XDA DO YOUR MAGIC.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Before ICS can come to the Droid 3 it's going to take Motorola dropping Blur (or whatever they want to call it now) OR Motorola coding Blur into the ICS framework. Hopefully they have been working on it for a while and not starting on it now........ I'd prefer the "dropping blur" option myself....but Motorola really really likes their blur.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Before ICS can come to the Droid 3 it's going to take Motorola dropping Blur (or whatever they want to call it now) OR Motorola coding Blur into the ICS framework. Hopefully they have been working on it for a while and not starting on it now........ I'd prefer the "dropping blur" option myself....but Motorola really really likes their blur.

At least we don't have to worry about that when ICS ROMS come!

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
At least we don't have to worry about that when ICS ROMS come!
maybe....maybe not. We are on Gingerbread and a Gingerbread kernel (.35..not .36 kernel like Honeycomb).

Will ICS require a new kernel for proper operation? Will we get ICS based hardware drivers for the Droid 3 (which need to come from Motorola)?

When ICS hits AOSP, the first builds will be attempted with Gingerbread drivers and 2nd-init'ing on top of the Gingerbread kernel.

Hopefully Motorola has been working on ICS for the Droid X2, 3, Bionic, Razr, etc...and waiting for the limited time exclusive of the Galaxy Nexus to expire. This way we can at least have the necessary hardware drivers for custom ROM building.

spillner

Reaction score
My thought is we probably won't see it till some time late winter early spring. Moto has been releasing a new Android phone every 1-2 months, which will only delay our getting ICS if we do at all. I'm gonna wait till the end of the year, if I dont hear any good news about ICS coming Im gonna drop the D3 for one that has it, most likley the Nexus.

OP
BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
the latest story in the news feed suggests that we should see end of this year/early 2012. i hope so. it looks sweet!!

B

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Motorola said that the Droid Razr will be getting ICS sometime in early 2012....so if Motorola is working on ICS for other devices....I suspect the Razr will get primary attention then the others will be after.....moving backwards or based on sales volume.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
And hopefully Moto won't strip out or otherwise muck up the ICS feature that allows you to disable apps.

OP
BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
I hope they dont either. Honestly i cant see them doing that. it would be crazy and might deter people away from getting future moto devices

B