1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Will Verizon let me upgrade really early?

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by k22, Apr 23, 2011.

1. k22

k22 New Member

I currently have a DROIDX, and am dying for the Thunderbolt. I am in the Verizon loyalty program, but am not due for an upgrade until March 2012. Is there a chance they would let me trade in for the Thunderbolt? Paying the difference between the two of course.

All it would be is a phone change, as I have the unlimited plan now anyway.

Thabks. Also, hi!!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  2. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

With all the changes that have been going on lately, especially the fact no new 1 year upgrading, the simple answer is no way.
  3. k22

k22 New Member

Darn, I was afraid of that.

Also, I am not really a fan of Motorola... slow Android updates, ugly UI. I heard the Bionic is suposed to be insanely fast, should I keep an eye out for that, or are there any 4G HTC phones on their way?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2011
  4. Jeyman

Jeyman New Member

Thats your call, I am in love with HTC after the EVO and now TB(owned both)the Bionic can be a pimp phone, but at the same time its been delayed a ton. so you have a risk there too. The TB is a stable phone, with 4g and I have loved very second of owning it.

I steam live TV, music and as iv said in the past its without a glich. no mid show buffering unless its a slow video(server) The Bionic will be dual core so if they can fix whats wrong with it, ya it should be better. And will see what moto does with the bootloader this time. Lets cross our fingers, I love moto phones.
  5. k22

k22 New Member

That also [gives me shivers], Motorola kills customization. I wanted to use Cyanogen, but nope. I've been hearing the Thunderbolt has horrible battery, but my town won't get 4G until the end of 2012.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2011
  6. Vulcan1600

VZW, believe it or not is a company, a for profit company, they sell phones at subsidized pricing in exchange for a 2 year commitment from you. If they sell you a subsidized phone for your 2 year commitment, and less than a year later you want to upgrade, it makes no business sense to VZW to let you upgrade already. If you want the latest and greatest phone, no matter if it's the T-Bolt, Bionic or something that hasn't come out yet, you'll be paying full retail price for it.

Lastly, I am asking you to refrain from swearing on DroidForums.
  7. MrKleen

MrKleen New Member

Of course Verizon will let you get a new Thunderbolt. Just like they let me get one even though I only had the Droid X for 3 months.

Of course you will pay full price for it... :) It depends on how much you want it. And your upgrade would remain available.
  8. Vulcan1600

Exactly the point I was trying to make at the same time you were typing your response!
  9. k22

k22 New Member

I see plenty of others say damn, so hop on them before me

10. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

Wow, no respect whatsoever. As for the upgrade, yeah you're going to have to pay full price.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  11. AthDruid

AthDruid New Member

Here's my story.
    Wife and i had Samsung Rogue. Bought ours right before Droid 1 came out. We were up for the upgrade on July 1 of 2011. Well my phone died beginning of april. The Touchscreen woudln't respond. My wife was having problems with her motor for the vibrate feature and having other minor problems. I called to use the extended warranty for replacements. I asked about upgrading both phones to TB. Seeing as we were close to the upgrade, i thought we could upgrade (spend more money, uncrease our montly bill) instead of sending 2 new phones and us not buying new equipment for another 6mo-year. well after much fighting and back and forth, we got 2 new TB. Plus we got an additional 50 bucks off because one was the main line. it was a pain in the rear to do, but it's possible. I think it just depends on how you try to upgrade.

Now a full year vs 2-3 months, you may be out of luck.
  12. greyghost04

greyghost04 New Member

A month ago I went to the VZN site and it said I could upgrade my phone. Even though I had 4 months to go on my Droid. I pushed the 'Upgrade my phone' button and it allowed me to get the Thunderbolt and gave me a $100 discount! Now some say it was because I had a corporate account. I don't know for sure. Go to ' My Verizon' and see what happens.
  13. mike02vr6

mike02vr6 New Member

geez show a little respect, the guy asked nicely, with an attitude like that I am sure they won't upgrade you. thats just my .02
  14. nailerdog

nailerdog New Member

Craigslist.

DX is still bringing good money and someone will have a TB that they want to unload for some cash.

I'm thinking you could go from a DX to a TB for < $200 like I did.
  15. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET New Member

a freind of mine broke his phone. Not sure what he has but its not a smart phone. He only had it for 9 months. Verizon allowed him to upgrade to any phone they had except the TB and the iphone.
  16. AthDruid

AthDruid New Member

If you got one from Craigslist would you need a new sim catf?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  17. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

I doubt you'll be able to. But my upgrade wasn't due until december and I got a thunderbolt a few weeks ago for $199 + $20 early upgrade. Go ask, worst that can happen is they say "no"
  18. k22

k22 New Member

I thought Verizon didn't use SIM cards though.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm extremely upset with the battery life on my DROIDX. I literally had it off the charger, rebooted it, and wasn't using it for 15 minutes and lost 10% battery.

I heard the TB has horrible battery life too, but I'm not sure. Should I wait for the summer and see what happens with Android, or go with the iPhone 5? I can't really with this phone's battery life any longer!

19. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET New Member

Verizons 4G is a sim card which they offer free. Regarding battery life on the TB, I think the it improved dramatically. I can get anywhere between 15 hours to 18 hours without charging with normal usage. I am rooted also with new radio update.
  20. k22

k22 New Member

And to be clear, Cyanogen mod works with the TB?

Since I'm not in a 4G area, will it always try to find 4G? That's got to impact battery life.

Search tags for this page
how many months out of upgrade will verizon let me

will verizon let me upgrade 3 months early

will verizon let me upgrade 6 months early

will verizon let me upgrade a week early

will verizon let me upgrade early to samsung s4
will verizon let you upgrade 3 months early