Will Verizon Allow Upgrading a Few Days Early?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by RickCathey, Feb 8, 2010.

1. RickCathey

RickCathey Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys.. I have been reading this forum for over a month now in preparation for my upcoming change from the Voyager to the Droid. The more I read the more I want the Droid.

I am not eligible for my upgrade until this Saturday the 13th which seems like it will never get here fast enough..

My question is has anyone of you been able to convince Verizon to let you upgrade a few days early or did you have to wait until the actual upgrade date that is in their system?

Patience is not one of my better qualities. :)

Now back to reading..

2. mattygabe

mattygabe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is the date that you speak of specifically called your upgrade date, or is it just the end of your contract? Verizon lets folks upgrade 20 months into the contract, and I know that they showed my contract end date (which is the fifth of March). We were able to upgrade in November of 2009 but just never cared to until now.

3. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    hi there and welcome :D i've heard if you call verizon directly they most always let you do it early :D

4. papy72

papy72 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My upgrade date is the 14th, so I know exactly where you are coming from. I tried inquiring about bumping my NE2 date up without much luck, but that was a few weeks ago.

I've read about peopel being able to do it though. The rep I talked to said the stores sometimes allow it I would lose my NE2 discount AND I would have to go through the pain of the mail-in rebate.

I'll stick to waiting for Christmas-in-February (i.e. this coming Sunday).

5. papy72

papy72 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tried and failed. Maybe the rep I got wasn't as knowledgeable about these things.

6. Corinacakes

Ratings:
    +3
    dang so sorry!! maybe try again? are you the only one on yur plan? if not are there any upgrades available for the other phones? they'll let you use that...then you could give them yurs when they need it.

7. RickCathey

Ratings:
    +0
    My upgrade date is this Saturday but my contract isn't up until a few months from now. I am off work today so maybe I will make a drive over to the Verizon store and see what they have to say..

If I have no luck at least Saturday is now one day closer than it was...:icon_ banana:

Thanks guys..

8. papy72

papy72 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No it's just little old me on my plan. It's OK, I've been waiting to get this darn phone since before it came out in November. I can wait another week.

9. papy72

papy72 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you get lucky let me know how you did it and what kind of deal you got (mail in rebate? NE2 discount?).

10. RickCathey

Ratings:
    +0
    My wife and I and her parents are on the same plan. The new every two offer doesn't come up until next year as the other three phones on the plan were gotten this time last year so there is still another year left on those..

11. Corinacakes

Ratings:
    +3
    well from what i understand the person that "owns" the plan gets vip status and is able to do an upgrade every year. that's how i got mine early

12. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In November they would have let me upgrade a week early over the phone but wouldn't allow me to do it in store.

I called them 4 times to make sure this info was correct, all 4 customer service reps said yes. But other people said they could do it in stores and not on the phone... this leads me to correctly assume something else I've been told: stores can do what they want at that location's mangers discretion.

About a year ago I had some problems with a phone, over the phone they told me I could get a replacement in store if that store manger agreed. My account was noted by customer service alluring the in store exchange so I went to try my luck. The first store said they weren't allowed, second store said they weren't allowed, third store started to say the same when I informed them I know otherwise at which time I also told them I knew the account was noted to allow me to do it. I asked for the manager. The manager told me yes, they can do these things and even though my account said it was okay, she wasn't going to do it for me. When I asked her why not, she said although she could she wasn't going to because she didn't actually have to. I ended up doing the replacement over the phone with customer care.

Why Verizon has their stores and customer care working almost independently of each other is beyond me. I would say keep calling until you get a rep who does what you want. lol

13. RickCathey

Ratings:
    +0
    Well no luck at the store. Told me Saturday was the earliest that I could upgrade. Oh well my Seidio case and other goodies haven't come in yet so I guess it's best I wait until I am ready to "suit it up" fresh out of the box..

14. mattygabe

mattygabe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I found that AmazonWireless was selling the Droid for $109.99 for existing customers (as I am). They make you input your customer information, and then send that to Verizon for authorization before charging you and shipping your phone.

I know that Wirefly has some good looking deals, but I've hard far too many hassle stories about them. My phone is on its way now, I will let you know later this week how the Amazon route worked.

15. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OP: you need to get ahold of a store manager .if they still say no, give them a sob story... they should bump up your upgrade a few days no problem

Search tags for this page
can i upgrade my verizon phone a few days early
can i upgrade my verizon phone a week early
does verizon let you upgrade a week early
verizon upgrade 7 days early
verizon upgrade a few days early
will verizon let me upgrade 3 days early
will verizon let me upgrade a few days early

will verizon let me upgrade a week early

will verizon let you upgrade a few days early

will verizon let you upgrade a week early