Will there be a Droid X2 to combat the Iphone 5?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by knighthonor, Feb 5, 2011.

1. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

I like my Droid X because of the nice size screen. But would like more features ofc. But will the future Android phones all be smaller, or will we get a Android phone with a big screen like Dx, but with more powerful specs?

dancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroid
  2. Vandy343

Vandy343 New Member

I saw something on here somewhere about new phones to follow up the droid 2 the droid x and the increible. I think it might have just been a rumor though. I would pull up a link but I'm on my phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. Jambanc

Jambanc New Member

The droid bionic will have the same size screen as the dx

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  4. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

5. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

yes they have a Droid 3 and a Droid X 2 both coming out this year.
  6. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

7. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

I really don't know. I just know those 2 are coming out and both are set to be dual core.
  8. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

The problem isn't the devices. Android manufacturers can crank out equally good devices as apple but the developers are going to make apps where the most potential for revenue is and that's iphone.

With an ATT only iphone there was less concern than now because people loved Verizon and wouldn't switch. Android was the alternative. Now some of those people will switch to iphone lessening the consumer base. Thereby reducing the desire to make apps.

Sold out in 17 hours for a device that is going to be replaced by iphone5 in June.

Android is going to take a huge hit.
  9. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

yeah, iam starting to think this is the end of the droid, and start of a Apple Monopoly. This new mass iphone movement, is even starting to effect PC sells as well. Apple PCs are becoming more popular.

GG world! Get ready, for buying products, with only 1 fixed spec that almost never gets updated.
    GG :icon_evil:
  10. royolpunk

royolpunk New Member

+1

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  11. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

to bad Android Phone makers, wont do something extreme, to make Android more useful than Iphone5.

Did you all see that Feature list I linked for the IP5? Dayum!!!!! O.O:icon_eek:

Why doesnt Android Phone Makers, think of these things? man oh man. I wonder what it will take to out do IP5, and Apple in general.

I been searching all these phone details, and none of them seem even close to the features of the IP5!!

I was really looking forward to the expansion of the Android market that happen a month ago. But that fantasy was now shattered!!!! :icon_evil:

I dont know what to expect now. Where is Android heading?
    google, what are you people DOING!!!
    Do SOMETHING!!!

I look forward to the new Sony Emulator, but come on,,, will that really save Android? heck no. Sony likely will pull the same thing for the IP5 later on.
  12. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

The DX2 and D2 will likely be released in Q2. The specs of the DX2 are for a dual core processor, but likely only 3g. No word on a ffc. No specs on the D3, but it will likely be similar to the DX2.

The Bionic will also be coming out in Q2, will have dual core, 4.3 inch screen, and will be LTE. The Atrix will be coming to VZW in Q4, and will have the lapdock feature, along with dual core, lte, ffc, and 4 inch screen.

The iphone 5 will likely be out in the summer, and is expected to have dual core. Other than that, the specs from that artocle are not overly impressive to me. It will certainly be a great phone with a great OS, but it will still have all the characteristics that draw people to Android.

tappin like a mutha
  13. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

A little faster, a little more storage than the top-end Android pipeline...very nice. I don't buy 4G capable, unless they are referring to the faux-4G AT&T is currently pushing along with T-Mobile. It's not going to be LTE because Apple has said as much, though that doesn't 100% rule out a surprise.

As for apps, Android now has the larger installed base with growth still accelerating (although I don't know how the IPad and Itouch might change that dynamic). They caught IOS in ad impressions a few months ago. For a developer, Android is going to have the bigger market potential but you have to work quite a bit harder to reach that entire market.

But Google is now hiring developers to create apps. Actually a good thing, though. Sounds kind of like a quasi-venture capital approach to support innovation.

LOL, say hello to Google bloatware!
    "A centerpiece of Google's pitch to developers involves the company's distribution power, people familiar with the matter said. Some of Google's homegrown apps come preinstalled on numerous Android devices"
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  14. KSR

KSR New Member

I have the DX right now and I'm sure the Bionic will be out by time I'm ready for an upgrade, so that might be the update for me. I love the big screen so I don't want to go any smaller than the 4.3 any time soon. xD

<<17 :D>>
  15. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

too bad it has only half a gig ram
  16. UNC

UNC New Member

The Dx2 has to be LTE!
    LTE is android's advantage right now. Because on apps they are getting smoked.

I've said this a hundred times.
    The iPhone will have better apps because iTunes MUST be integrated, and because iOS has much more efficient usage of the CPU (better battery life, faster response, more power per mhz*).

iTunes is so deeply integrated into iOS that Apple ALWAYS has an idea of what you have. That is a great thing for developers, it makes piracy much more difficult, and the community is so much better at giving reviews... look at the google market, there are people who vote down a live wallpaper because an app didn't appear in the drawer. They don't even know how to change to a live wallpaper!!!

Ok, now on to the OS and the CPU. Android is basically running code thru a Virtual Machine that is running on a linux kernel.
    While iOS runs code natively.

Here's the most simple comparison I could come up with, game consoles.
    Now let's pretend that the best games out right now are PS2 quality, not quite up to the hardware specs. (Like in the App world)
    60gb PS3 running PS2 games = Android
    PS2 running PS2 games = iOS

Sure the PS3 may have a faster CPU, more RAM, more video RAM, etc... yet the PS2 still plays the games better, because the code is native.

With that being said, Android has the advantage of openness. They can launch android-based LTE phones for example, long before Apple can have a response.

I for one will continue to buy and support Android and iOS. To quote a great American... "Can't we all just get along"

LoL

*I made up power per mhz, but it is actually an apt description.

*edited. Full disclosure (coming from an iPhone 4 preorderer)
  17. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Over my head, but didn't JIT in Eclair (Froyo) basically close that gap? Still an issue with performance intensive apps like games, but if I understand correctly Gingerbread now allows fully native C++ code to be run directly?
  18. gonnadie4thegov

gonnadie4thegov New Member

lets see where to start:

1. Yes there are rumors of a new Droid3, X2, and Incredible2 to be launched this year, the incredible2 is believed to have been spotted in the wild already. But nothihg is confirmed.

2. Wow that article is terrible, first off where are these sources? The author doesn't seem to know that the iphone4 is going to verizon so how old is that article? Since when is apple the creator of NFC technology? Its been in Japan and just recently launched in parts of Europe. Android also announced they are pushing NFC with 2.3+ and new hardware coming out while apple just announced like 2 weeks ago that they are looking into NFC so its not even confirmed that they will use it with the ip5

3. oversea's the iphone is on multiple carriers and android still sells better. android has too much market share and momentum to be stopped now. if anything the sales figures of the verizon iphone shows how brainwashed the common american is to want the "trendy item" but as more celebrities and hollywood are adopting android over iphones now that may change. (writing this made me feel kinda sick lol)

4. Android has a problem with trying to run too many graphics since not every phone has a dedicated gpu so androids coding runs it through the cpu instead, phones with a seperate gpu tend to run alittle faster now but once it becomes a standard along with the dual core processors this will no longer be an issue.

5. i do not see apple not making the iphone5 4G. while at&t's 4G is fake, verizon's is not and then have a plan to have it nationwide (covering everywhere there is 3G now) by the end of 2013. also i would not be surprised if the phone was called the 4GS not the 5.
  19. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

@Number 3, thats what I am concerned about. What made Iphone so damn popular?
    And how will this popularity effect Android Market, now that IPhone is taking in more of the population than before.

Arent you worried Developers may move on to Apple Market?

Hey we are already dealing with a crises were many developers dont want to put their products in the Android Market due to restrictions.

check out Gameloft. I see all their games in the Apple Market. They even have NOVA2.
    but none of the games are in Android market. Only from the main site. And we still dont have NOVA2.

these are some of Android's major game developers, and they update their Apple followers, more than Android followers get. They are part 2, we still at part 1.

come on.... whats ever the reason for this mindset in developers, need to be addressed by Google, so Developers can have a bit easier run with App development. Because I want cool software like Iphone4+ has!!!:icon_evil:
  20. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

calling an iphone a trendy item is a cop out, its an easier experience for a normal person, has an awesome screen and camera, neither of which has been close to topped by any android phone yet and are two reasons i still wish the iphone had a four inch screen. I've yet to find a music player as good as the iphone for android.

I swear if it had a four inch screen i'd have to get it for those reasons alone. Sure i'd miss roms, but to have an really good music player/camera/and high res screen i'd have to do it.

and the droid 3 is more than rumored, hopefully it'll be 4g unlike what i've heard about it and the x2.. to finally have a vzw equiv to the epic 4g will be nice.