Will the Verizon update un root me?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Slickademo, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Slickademo

Slickademo New Member

Hey what's up everyone. I am new and this is my first post. Here we go. . . .

I have a Razr HD from Verizon. Android Version 4.1.2 System Version 9.1.6.6XT926.Verizon.en.US
    I rooted it using Ubuntu and deleted all the bloatware, tweaked it's settings etc. Runs a lot better then the factory version.
    I am wondering if anyone knows if the newest OTA update from July of this year will unroot my Droid?
    The update addresses this : enhanced GPS reliability, data metering, SMS bugfixes and Bluetooth connectivity apparently.
    Sounds like a worthy update if it does NOT unroot me. I'd rather have my root then the update as of right now.
    Mainly because my battery last a long time with all the stuff I have done using ROM Toolbox, Droid Wall, and so on.
    I was also thinking of just unlocking the boot loader and backing it up etc but at the same time I want to wait until I have another
    phone just in case I mess something up considering I have already had a soft brick once due to a setting my phone didn't agree with.
    Any suggestions? I'd appreciate any positive feedback.
  2. bweN diorD

bweN diorD Well-Known Member

the update will break root unless you use voodoo https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.otarootkeeper
    although, its still Possible to loose it. if you take the update, you will no longer be able to unlock the bootloader (likely forever)(unless you unlock it first).
    last but not least :), you cant take the update unless you flash the phone back to stock. the update will fail every time because you "removed bloat".
  3. Slickademo

Slickademo New Member

Thanks for the response. I now know what direction to go in. . . Time to Unlock the bootloader :) Any suggestions for a custom ROMs??
Search tags for this page
can verizon unroot my phone
how to un root me phone

if i update my android will it unroot

if i update my android will it unroot s4
rootme 2013

rootme 3 does root 4.1.2

rootme update
ubuntu xt926
update unroot

verizon update unroot my phone

will a system update unroot my phone