Will the phone ring while data is transmitting?

fluffyx

Reaction score
I'm on the verge of getting a Droid. I just have one question:

Let's say I'm transmitting a large chunk of data, or I'm tethering the Droid to my computer. While the phone is actively transmitting data, can I still receive calls?

I understand that one cannot simultaneously transmit data and voice, but will the phone at least ring if a data transfer is going on? I know that if the phone is tethered but is not actively sending/receiving data, the phone will ring. But will it ring if data is being transferred at that moment?

I know that on other networks (like AT&T's EDGE), the call will just go straight to voicemail.

iPirate

Reaction score
Yes you can get calls while transferring data...

If not then my phone would never get calls because I am at least always on gtalk:)

OP
F

fluffyx

Reaction score
I very much appreciate your reply :).

Verizon + Droid, here I come.

iPirate

Reaction score
I have also gotten calls during pandora, be warned though! if you unplug your head phones to answer the call, the music will play out the speaker when you end your call. Sometimes it can be embarrassing

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm on the verge of getting a Droid. I just have one question:

Let's say I'm transmitting a large chunk of data, or I'm tethering the Droid to my computer. While the phone is actively transmitting data, can I still receive calls?

I understand that one cannot simultaneously transmit data and voice, but will the phone at least ring if a data transfer is going on? I know that if the phone is tethered but is not actively sending/receiving data, the phone will ring. But will it ring if data is being transferred at that moment?

I know that on other networks (like AT&T's EDGE), the call will just go straight to voicemail.

Welcome to the forum, fluffyx! Hope you make that leap to the Droid! As you can see, the answer to your questin is a resounding 'yes' that the phone will ring during data transfer. Good luck with whatever it is you decide!