Will the NFL Return in September

Will The NFL Return In September

• Yes, they will get it straightened out.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, The Owners are Greedy

• No, The Players are Greedy

• Yes, but not until week 3

• Yes but not until mid Season

• Come on hook, haven't you got better things to do?

• Total voters

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So who's the greedy people? Owners? Players? I don't know but I know there will be only one group getting jerked over. That's the fans.

UNC

Reaction score
The owners and players are greedy. The owners just more so.

There will be a deal by September.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You're probably right but reporters make it sound very doom and gloom. Owners want 18 games. Players say no. That's going to be tough to convince the players to do that.

UNC

Reaction score
From what I understand the 18 game schedule is off the table. I think we will see no change in the game itself, just in the contracts that young players receive.

The players will cave, they always do.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They both have points but working class people really dont give a care. Players make more money than most of us in our lifetime plus they have the fame to go with it and yet they are broke 3 years after playing. The League should not have to set up a retirement fund for them, maybe the older players from back in the early days when they did not get paid as much.
Everyone including players complained about rookies like Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell making millions with out doing a thing in the league but based how they played in college so the NFLPA is talking out of both sides of their mouth there.
And fans get to pay all this money in taxes to build a stadium for billiionaire owners, and to say thanks the owners charge them 100+ for tickets including preseason, and concessions costing 7 bucks and up for drinks and food. Oh and you cant bring in your own food or drinks.
I love the nfl and the game but I dont care to hear billionaires and millionaires crying about not getting their fair share when the tax payers are forced to pay the bill for the stadiums even if they dont like sports.

coldhardtruth

Reaction score
They both have points but working class people really dont give a care. Players make more money than most of us in our lifetime plus they have the fame to go with it and yet they are broke 3 years after playing. The League should not have to set up a retirement fund for them, maybe the older players from back in the early days when they did not get paid as much.
Everyone including players complained about rookies like Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell making millions with out doing a thing in the league but based how they played in college so the NFLPA is talking out of both sides of their mouth there.
And fans get to pay all this money in taxes to build a stadium for billiionaire owners, and to say thanks the owners charge them 100+ for tickets including preseason, and concessions costing 7 bucks and up for drinks and food. Oh and you cant bring in your own food or drinks.
I love the nfl and the game but I dont care to hear billionaires and millionaires crying about not getting their fair share when the tax payers are forced to pay the bill for the stadiums even if they dont like sports.

Nicely stated. I agree 100%. Buncha over paid babies and wussys like Jay Cutler and Tim Tebow

Sent from my Ultimate 2.3.3 GB Droid Incredible

UNC

Reaction score

Nicely stated. I agree 100%. Buncha over paid babies and wussys like Jay Cutler and Tim Tebow

How can you call Tebow a wuss? He played with a broken arm against FSU the year he won the Heisman...

And about the tax-funded stadiums... the tax hikes to build the stadiums are always voted upon, and always pass. Can't blame the owners if the voting public wants to build the stadium. A pro sports team not only legitimizes a city, it also brings in big bucks for the city. Not to mention the big taxes that the players pay to their state of residence.

Here in NC we paid over 100 million just to entice IBM to the Triangle. IBM pays out (much) less than 50 million a year to its in-state workers... the Panthers received 100 million for a stadium and they pay out 100 million a year JUST for the players.. once you include all of the vendors, parking attendants, ushers, etc, they are paying far more taxable money back to the community than IBM is. Also, the area immediately surrounding Bank of America stadium has more than doubled in its value since the arrival of the Panthers. The same cannot be said about IBM...

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I can't tolerate pro athletes. Whining little children. I still remember the baseball strike when they whined about "only" earning $12 million a year. Really?

The pro athletes that I can say are the closest to earning their worth is, believe it or not, pro goflers. Their continued playing is dependent on game to game performance and most of the time, they pay all of their travel and such out of their pocket. I know there are exceptions when you get truly higher up, but the lower level pro players really have to bust it to keep going. Even the senior pro players can go away if they don't win and make the cut.

As far as pro football, I rank them just slightly behind pro basketball. Basketball drives me up the wall.

I would love for some of them to get a dose of reality.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
From some of the quotes this morning from the players, I could give a hoot.

Ridiculous.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

How can you call Tebow a wuss? He played with a broken arm against FSU the year he won the Heisman...

And about the tax-funded stadiums... the tax hikes to build the stadiums are always voted upon, and always pass. Can't blame the owners if the voting public wants to build the stadium. A pro sports team not only legitimizes a city, it also brings in big bucks for the city. Not to mention the big taxes that the players pay to their state of residence.

Here in NC we paid over 100 million just to entice IBM to the Triangle. IBM pays out (much) less than 50 million a year to its in-state workers... the Panthers received 100 million for a stadium and they pay out 100 million a year JUST for the players.. once you include all of the vendors, parking attendants, ushers, etc, they are paying far more taxable money back to the community than IBM is. Also, the area immediately surrounding Bank of America stadium has more than doubled in its value since the arrival of the Panthers. The same cannot be said about IBM...

I am not saying a team do not bring value to a city. I understand the business end of it. But there are two sides to it all especially when owners decide they want to hijack a city and threaten to move if they dont pay for them a new stadium. I dont want to lump every player and owner into the same area because there are some stand up players and owners and not all of them "whine". This is a labor vs company battle the same thing that happens with every company that has a labor union. It will get lawyered out and things will be back. Right now I am tired of hearing them get on tv and calling each other liars. Its all about money and neither one of them are caring abut the fans right now their primary concern is money.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Its all about money and neither one of them are caring abut the fans right now their primary concern is money.

Sad thing is, there are very few that care about the fans. Yet take the fans away and see if the money keeps rolling in. They need to learn about the term "biting the hand that feeds them".

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

How so? I know I've never been able to request my bosses financial records, and go on strike if I don't receive them.

From what I understand the 18 game schedule is off the table. I think we will see no change in the game itself, just in the contracts that young players receive.

The players will cave, they always do.

They should. They're getting paid millions to play a sport. It's entertainment for Christ sake.

Seriously, why is Tebow a wussy? How can you say anything bad about the guy? He works harder than most athletes in the league, and has never said anything out of line. I have nothing but respect for the kid.

From some of the quotes this morning from the players, I could give a hoot.

Ridiculous.

Adrian Peterson recently compared the millions of dollars they receive for playing a sport to slavery.

"It's modern-day slavery, you know?"

UNC

Reaction score

How so? I know I've never been able to request my bosses financial records, and go on strike if I don't receive them.

The players are not on strike, they were fine with the cut they were getting... The owners opted out for a bigger cut.

And about the financial records... if you're in a union and they DIDN'T ask for the financial records, your union sucks.
When the boss tells you and your fellow employees that your salaries will be based on a percentage, how could you negotiate without all of the financial info??
Seriously, we all just heard how the NFL hid away 4 billion dollars in a war chest so they could absorb the loss of a season. That's 4 billion dollars that the players were supposed to get 57% of!
I'd be hestitant to allow my salary to be based off a percentage of a number that I am not allowed to see... wouldn't you?

And to the people who think athletes make too much money... let's just say you're wrong. Athletes are the top pitchmen in our country. Verizon (for example) uses EVERY player in the NFL as a salesman. They don't pay those high rates for ads because people are tuning in to watch the owners.

If the NFL union was half as strong as the MLB union they would be killing the NFL in court right now. The NFL has an anti-trust agreement in the USA which basically guarantees that the players have no other league to play in, for them to lock the players out after they, the owners opted out of a deal is ridiculous and borderline illegal.

Even though the players make much more than you or I, this battle shows one of America's big problems right now. CEO's making 10x-100x more than their employees.

Think of all the jobs lost because of this. Do you think the hot dog vendor or beerman is "whining" when he complains that he can't go to work, or does he have legitimate beef with the owners?