Will the new 256 GB microSD card work in a Galaxy S7 edge?

davidhaney

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
Twitter
david123haney
The specs online and in the user manual state the maximum size of a microSD card for a Galaxy S7 edge is 200 GB, which was the maximum size available at the time the S7 was release, however a new 256 GB microSD card has since been released. Is anyone using or know if the new 256 GB microSD card will work in a Galaxy S7 edge?l

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Tough question to answer with authority unless you've actually tried a larger card, but somewhere I remember a mention something to the effect that if a phone can accept a 200 GB card, it can likely accept up to 2 Terabytes based on known memory protocols and driver chips. I can't attest to whether that information is accurate but I'd bet it can handle 256 GB.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tough question to answer with authority unless you've actually tried a larger card, but somewhere I remember a mention something to the effect that if a phone can accept a 200 GB card, it can likely accept up to 2 Terabytes based on known memory protocols and driver chips. I can't attest to whether that information is accurate but I'd bet it can handle 256 GB.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I won't post the link but a competiting forum has stated 2TB for the Note4 and all afterward. A thread on Reddit says essentially the same thing. They say the specs list the largest available card at the time of manufacture but can handle larger as cards get larger.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
My guess.. It should work.. Hopefully, someone will give it a try and let us know for sure..