Will the moto 360 live up to the hype?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For every great device there is always a thunderbolt (HTC) in the midst. With many holding out for the moto 360 predicated on the momentum Motorola had with the moto x, Droid, Droid x (minus the locked bootloader), and the droid RAZR maxx we forget about this is the same company who have struck out with devices like the bionic. In fact it was this time a year ago we felt like Motorola was on the brink if it was not for Google bailing them out. So knowing all that why is it we are willing to hold out for Motorola's version of android wear?
Is it because of the look, the reputation for build quality, or are we just not impressed with the competition?

Being one who is holding out as well I have to say for me all of the above. The Lg G watch looks like an awesome device for those of us who like to ROM and root being it has already been rooted with (more) ROMs on the way. But you can hide the nexus as many do not know what it is and when asked you can point to the price and people will understand. But the G watch just looks like a phone made for us android geeks. There is no hiding that, and if you buy the Samsung it just get mistaken for the other gear devices. But from what we seen with the moto 360 it blends in and looks more like a time piece instead of a "geek toy". But once you get past the look will the moto 360 live up to the hype?
Stay tuned to this section and our news section for reviews of the device as we hope to answer those questions for you.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
My roomy just got a Galaxy Gear Active. He likes it. I can't imagine wearing a watch again. Though he says he looks at his phone less.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
So knowing all that why is it we are willing to hold out for Motorola's version of android wear?
Is it because of the look, the reputation for build quality, or are we just not impressed with the competition?

Answers: Yes, Yes and Yes.

Will it live up to the hype?
I don't really know. High expectations have been put on this device. Mostly our (the community) doing. I'm sure it will be a very capable and well built device, but function wise, it will likely not do much more than the other two.

That said though, the MotoActv is discontinued I believe. It seemed to get high praise from consumers and reviewers. Do you think Motorola will incorporate functionality from it, to the 360? I know one of Googles rules is don't mess with AndroidWear OS, but perhaps Motorola could get around that with a second mode.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Now we are here did the moto 360 live up to the hype. My answer soon.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For me I have to say no. I guess I allowed the hype to overshadow my expectations but unfortunately Android Wear is by far worse than I thought it would be. This morning I contemplated whether I should return it and wait for the bugs to get squashed or push through it. The Moto 360 has a lot of potential but I do not think we see the device being able to go as far as samsung or LG given the internals. The Moto 360 will be one of those devices that will fizzle out from updating before the others. With that said, of all the smart watches out the Moto by far looks the best. The second generation of watches will adopt the round look but we will still have to wait for Google to improve the software. Be interesting to see if Google will be able to win the smart watch race or will some other software company emerge out of nowhere to take the crown.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
For me I have to say no. I guess I allowed the hype to overshadow my expectations but unfortunately Android Wear is by far worse than I thought it would be. This morning I contemplated whether I should return it and wait for the bugs to get squashed or push through it. The Moto 360 has a lot of potential but I do not think we see the device being able to go as far as samsung or LG given the internals. The Moto 360 will be one of those devices that will fizzle out from updating before the others. With that said, of all the smart watches out the Moto by far looks the best. The second generation of watches will adopt the round look but we will still have to wait for Google to improve the software. Be interesting to see if Google will be able to win the smart watch race or will some other software company emerge out of nowhere to take the crown.

I guess I am confused at what the watch doesn't do that you expected it to. All of the functionality we knew about months ago is there. Voice Commands. Check. Notifications. Check. Bluetooth connectivity to phone. Check.

And even some we weren't sure about. (Heart rate monitor.)

Also, it just looks good. As I guy that has worn an analog watch for years (and was in the market for a new every day wear watch) I didn't want a square geek watch.

So I am missing what you were expecting that the device hasn't delivered. Everyone talks about the internals. I don't get that, I haven't seen this watch do anything that the internals caused to perform poorly.

So you say the software needs improving, but do you have anything specifically you'd like to see improved.

(P.S. Most of my daily worn analog watches have been in the $200-300 range so the price point on this was perfect too!)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I think I saw an article about another 360 being released. Not sure what the complete differences are, but the body color and strap colors are different.

Edit...nvrmd. The previous article that I read made it sound like they recolored everything when it was just the band.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think I saw an article about another 360 being released. Not sure what the complete differences are, but the body color and strap colors are different.

Edit...nvrmd. The previous article that I read made it sound like they recolored everything when it was just the band.

Pretty sure that watch body is different color too.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
There was an article on AndroidPolice about spotting a possible gold version:

Motorola May Be Planning New Colors For The Moto 360 Including Gold

nexus2cee_132.png