Will the Droid Pro work overseas on a prepaid sim?

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
I hope so since this is a pretty big deal for me. I'll be going to Korea for a good year, I'm hoping I can just head on over there and put a local sim card into this phone and be good to go.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No need for a prepaid SIM, the Pro is global capable and will support voice in over 200 destinations and data in 160 destinations worldwide.
www.verizonwireless.com/support

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

OP
MO3iusONE

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
Well the thing is that, I'll be in Korea for a solid year so, I'll more than likely have to pick up a local prepaid sim card over there..

danwanna

Reaction score
I am interested in this as well. From what I've heard you will get a much better rate for the pre-paid SIM vs. Verizon's agreement. I would be happy to be wrong though...

westcoast

Reaction score
You'll need to unlock it from verizon to put in a sim card thats not verizon-vodafone. I travel overseas quite a bit with my verizon phone (generally 2-3 week business trips) and the bills can be quite high from data and phone usage.

emilm

Reaction score
Hi,
I live in Thailand and i must warn you that the 2 unlock codes supplied by Verizon will NOT work. I am stuck and still waiting for a solution.

techguru

Reaction score
To use a prepaid SIM, you need to call Verizon global support and get the unlock code. They will talk you through unlocking it. You must be a customer in good standing (I believe 3 months of bills paid on time).

However, Korea is one of the few other countries that have CDMA networks. You may be able to have your Droid re-programed for the local CDMA network as well, but if not, be sure to set it to GSM only or you will get hit with Roaming charges that are VERY expensive because you can roam CDMA in Korea and the charges will show up on your Verizon bill.

Alan

nomad2000

Reaction score
I'm using china mobile's sim card on my droid pro via gsm network, it works fine

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

emilm

Reaction score
I did call Verizon from Thailand and got the codes from them, they even walked me through the instructions but the phone would not recognize the codes. Verizon contacted Motorola but still no solutions.

bb_or_droid

Reaction score
I'm using china mobile's sim card on my droid pro via gsm network, it works fine

Thanks for the first-hand report. That is comforting to know.

Can you recommend a prepaid SIM for use in mainland and hong kong?

OP
MO3iusONE

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
Ill more thank likely have to cancel verizon before I head on to korea.. im hoping I can somehow unroot my phone so I can use overseas on a pre paid sim. I guess we'll have to find out and see what happens.

debracey

Reaction score
Ill more thank likely have to cancel verizon before I head on to korea.. im hoping I can somehow unroot my phone so I can use overseas on a pre paid sim. I guess we'll have to find out and see what happens.

You don't have to root the phone to use a 3rd party sim. You just have to get the unlock code from VZ or from any number of 3rd party sites. The only sims that are blocked outright are US TMobile and US ATT sims.

-- Dan

nomad2000

Reaction score

Thanks for the first-hand report. That is comforting to know.

Can you recommend a prepaid SIM for use in mainland and hong kong?

prepaid SIM, in mainland, you can choose "Easy Own" (Shen Zhou Xing in Chinese Pinyin) by China Mobile, or Ruyi Tone by Unicom

if u will stay at HK for a long time, recommend the CSL One2free.

these pre-paid sim are selling at bookstore, 7-11, airport store etc.

OP
MO3iusONE

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
Well just a heads up for people going to Korea. I brought my Droid Pro and Dell Venue Pro and non of them seem to want to work on a prepaid card. The prepaid card is called "show" it works on this cheap 60 dollar flip phone I bought but no luck with the other ones. Theres a few companys here though that arent prepaid that offer plans, such as data, text, etc. etc. I'm gonna see if that might work, it should work, a buddy of mine had a Sidekick II which he got to work, although he said the data seems to be acting a little funky, anyways, I'll keep you guys posted.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Well just a heads up for people going to Korea. I brought my Droid Pro and Dell Venue Pro and non of them seem to want to work on a prepaid card. The prepaid card is called "show" it works on this cheap 60 dollar flip phone I bought but no luck with the other ones. Theres a few companys here though that arent prepaid that offer plans, such as data, text, etc. etc. I'm gonna see if that might work, it should work, a buddy of mine had a Sidekick II which he got to work, although he said the data seems to be acting a little funky, anyways, I'll keep you guys posted.

Yeah, in Korea they have heavy government regulations on phones, especially smartphones, in order to encourage the local market. It took a lot of time and a lot of effort for them to even allow the iPhone since it wasn't a Korean product. They tend to make it very difficult for you to bring a foreign phone into the country to use on their networks (unless you're roaming with a foreign carrier, like Verizon). So if your device isn't allowed in their systems, it's unlikely that it will ever work without some serious tinkering.