Will the Droid ever be able to watch Live TV or Radio?

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
Will the Droid ever be able to watch Live TV Television or Radio?

I'm thinking of live TV and live radio. Can the Droid perform these functions or will it be able to in the future?

I assume the Droid is not a TV reciever therefore cannot watch live TV. Is this correct? Can you watch TV through the internet connection?

How about live local or online radio? Can I listen to that on the Droid or through the internet?

Is using the internet to listen to TV a power hungry source?

Last edited:

the3dolla

Reaction score
hmm

Yes, the droid doesn't have an OTA Tuner thus no Live TV over the air. Yes, you can do internet tv and radio. Verizon and Sprint have TV service which is usually included with Sprint data service but is 10-15/mo with Verizon.

There is Jet Flicks "tv" service that is supposed to be offered in January, but I don't think it's live. You used to be able to get Sprints TV feeds on any phone but that has been blocked.

Radio can work, depends on the websites player. Pandora, Slacker Radio and Last.FM can stream internet radio stations quite well.

Anything using the screen heavily and/or the data connection will suck power pretty good.

bigd138

Reaction score
Live television. on Droid

Go to Hang 10 Technologies presents VuiVision - Hang10Tech.com. its 1.99 a month or 15 dollars a year.
For now its limited to Fox, NBC, CBS, and ABC. And works in the tri state area. But it will soon work nationwide. Also they are working on adding more channels by the end of the year. I myself was able to watch The world series from the Droid. Picture was crystal clear. Check it out.

the3dolla

Reaction score
hmm 24 hour trial..

The confirmation link states that I'm agreeing to pay, although I wonder if you have to cancel or you just don't pay and you just get 24 hour trial. And it's 24.99/yr and 2.99/mo.

Zippster

Reaction score
There is no Vcast with droid. Tv . com works just fine though for alot of programming.

Droider

Reaction score
I listen to the online streaming versions of local (and world wide) stations with the free app "A Online Radio" and there are others on the Market both free and paid.

ZeRo_C0oL

Reaction score
ORB is great too.. or you can always stream from Winamp Remote from your pc. All of my computers, and my tv's and PS3 are able to view what's on each computer.

WooYing

Reaction score
Guess got to wait for Flash Player to come out before going to Hulu.

romeov

Reaction score
Slingbox does not have an android app, this place would go nuts if and when it does.

Orb is an option, but I have only found one orb app on the market and am thus far unimpressed with it