Will the Droid 1 handle Gingerbread?

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
not the mhz

obviously we know the 550mhz isnt a problem with droid 1 , since most can run at, atleast 1000 just fine. but i have started to find the memory within the droid 1 is very limited and this may be the underlying problem with running gingerbread on the droid 1. I know people (maybe even us) will emulate gingerbreads looks but can it actually be installed well see. But also please feel free to point me to links but i have read alot on gingerbread and seriously i am not seeing whats the i gotta have it part of gingerbread. not including blindtype we all want that and sure it will get ported either way, but what else am i missing?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The 1GHz processor requirement was refuted by both Google and the guy who started the rumor. Has this changed and nobody bothered to inform the entire Droid community? Or is this yet another case of PR people being ill informed if not outright moronic?

All I'm going to say about that is PR people reported we'd have 2GHz phones by the end of the year. And that was from Motorola directly.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Right now I'm curious to see what FRG83D has in store for the D1, maybe it's Froyo with some Gingerbread crumb topping on it ;) Anyway, I guess us early adopters will have to wait and see... the suspense is killing me :shocked:

I have been running FRG83D for several days now and it is just bug fixes not much to see.

There is no “hard” processor requirement for gingerbread, It's been repeated several times, moto will decide if we get it. But for my opinion I don't see any reason why we won't get it.
I have one symbol for you, and I'm not talking stock terminal emulator.

$

:)

mattg1

Reaction score
Right now I'm curious to see what FRG83D has in store for the D1, maybe it's Froyo with some Gingerbread crumb topping on it ;) Anyway, I guess us early adopters will have to wait and see... the suspense is killing me :shocked:

I have been running FRG83D for several days now and it is just bug fixes not much to see.

There is no “hard” processor requirement for gingerbread, It's been repeated several times, moto will decide if we get it. But for my opinion I don't see any reason why we won't get it.
I have one symbol for you, and I'm not talking stock terminal emulator.

$

:)

lol What? I don't follow?

mattg1

Reaction score
furbearingmammal, oh I got ya lol "over my head" but naa I got in on the testing last week

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Money. It costs money to do all the developing, with no real gain to Motorola except experience in working with Gingerbread code and some good will. That's the reason why we wouldn't see it officially from Motorola. However, I'm not denying that stock users will see it; just that there's a good reason why we won't if we don't.

mattg1

Reaction score
Money. It costs money to do all the developing, with no real gain to Motorola except experience in working with Gingerbread code and some good will. That's the reason why we wouldn't see it officially from Motorola. However, I'm not denying that stock users will see it; just that there's a good reason why we won't if we don't.

Yea you have a good point there, I'm just an optimistic person :), Question is when will my X see it!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more! I guess time will tell..

DroidForums junkie!!

necronomican

Reaction score
Check droid lifes website they say the droid one will eventually get gingerbread..

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i already knew it wasnt gonna get an official update for GINGERBREAD...but ppl didnt believe me

necronomican

Reaction score
Google said gingerbread has no min. requirments at all..somone has already ported it to the droid eris and it runs fine on there and thats slower then the Droid.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Google said gingerbread has no min. requirments at all..somone has already ported it to the droid eris and it runs fine on there and thats slower then the Droid.
so ur saying that LG was misinformed? i find it hard to believe that they were told a lie...i think that gingerbread DOES have a hardware requirement

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
so ur saying that LG was misinformed? i find it hard to believe that they were told a lie...i think that gingerbread DOES have a hardware requirement
Malvado hit the nail on the head. That's quite a random statement to be making if it wasn't true. Think about that for a moment : )

Sent from my Droid

jimmydene84

Reaction score

Yes, it is ported to the eris. But it also states that it is in no way a fully working ROM. It is mainly for show not function