Will rooting and a rom help battery life?

VooDooCC

Reaction score
My wife finally gave into upgrading her Razr to ICS, after getting tired of declining the upgrade notifications. Now her battery life is nothing compared to what it used to be. What I'm wondering is if rooting, and putting on a rom would help her battery life. I know this helped my D2, but very inexperienced with the Razr, since it's hers and she usually tells me not to touch it. She uses it mainly for texting via google voice, a bit of internet and facebook. Far from power user, just want something to get her battery life back to close to what it was before.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I would not recommend a ROM for help with battery life, there are far less drastic measures to try.

The first link is the battery specific section of the forum, tons of great info there. Second link is a user that was having battery problems and we seemed to get him fixed up, sorry it is a long post but typing all the same info over again would be even longer. Take a read I am sure you will find some answers, they will probably move this thread over there as well since they are trying to keep them all in one place.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/smartphone-battery-discussion/

[URL]http://www.droidforums.net/forum/smartphone-battery-discussion/219213-motorola-working-update-fix-ics-battery-razr.html
[/URL]

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
My wife finally gave into upgrading her Razr to ICS, after getting tired of declining the upgrade notifications. Now her battery life is nothing compared to what it used to be. What I'm wondering is if rooting, and putting on a rom would help her battery life. I know this helped my D2, but very inexperienced with the Razr, since it's hers and she usually tells me not to touch it. She uses it mainly for texting via google voice, a bit of internet and facebook. Far from power user, just want something to get her battery life back to close to what it was before.
As you probably know rooting by itself will not do anything to improve battery life. However, rooting will give you a couple of options that you wouldn't have unrooted: 1) if you root you can use Titanium Backup (TB) to freeze bloatware that start when you power up your phone or start and run on there own. There are about 10 apps that will start on there own that very few users want...your list maybe even larger. 2) Root will also allow you to run an app like Juice Defender, which is much like the stock SmartActions, but I personally think it is better because it gives you quite a few settings and more control over what run and when. 3) Downloading a ROM can help. There are a number of ROMs made for .211 ICS (current system version) that users have reported much better battery life. Droidrzr.com has a listing of ROMs specifically developed for .211.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As you probably know rooting by itself will not do anything to improve battery life. However, rooting will give you a couple of options that you wouldn't have unrooted: 1) if you root you can use Titanium Backup (TB) to freeze bloatware that start when you power up your phone or start and run on there own. There are about 10 apps that will start on there own that very few users want...your list maybe even larger. 2) Root will also allow you to run an app like Juice Defender, which is much like the stock SmartActions, but I personally think it is better because it gives you quite a few settings and more control over what run and when. 3) Downloading a ROM can help. There are a number of ROMs made for .211 ICS (current system version) that users have reported much better battery life. Droidrzr.com has a listing of ROMs specifically developed for .211.

I have a total of 76 apps and services frozen in my Razr Maxx :biggrin:

jtc303

Reaction score
MattyP said:
I have a total of 76 apps and services frozen in my Razr Maxx :biggrin:

Damn man that's way more than I got...

bionicdr

Reaction score
care to share?

Damn man that's way more than I got...

do you have a list of the apps you have frozen? I just restored my razr which is rooted. It was getting sluggish. I was surprised that the wipe did not clear out the internal files however the system thought I was booting up the phone for the first time and had to go thru the motions. the first app to reload was titanium. I'm downloading eclipse rom to use with safestrap as a dual boot just to check it out and see if I like it.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
do you have a list of the apps you have frozen? I just restored my razr which is rooted. It was getting sluggish. I was surprised that the wipe did not clear out the internal files however the system thought I was booting up the phone for the first time and had to go thru the motions. the first app to reload was titanium. I'm downloading eclipse rom to use with safestrap as a dual boot just to check it out and see if I like it.
APPS SAFE TO FREEZE...USE THIS LIST AT YOUR OWN RISK: IF YOU FREEZE THE APPS BELOW AND YOUR PHONE OR A FUNCTION DOES NOT OPERATE CORRECTLY THEN YOU HAVE PROBABLY FROZEN SOMETHING THAT ANOTHER APP THAT YOU USE NEEDS. FOR INSTANCE...IF YOU FREEZE YAHOO CALENDAR AND ALL OF A SUDDEN YOUR 3RD PARTY CALENDAR IS NOT WORKING CORRECTLY THEN UNFREEZE YAHOO CALENDAR AND SEE IF THAT DOESN'T FIX THE PROBLEM.

Android Live Wallpaper
[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Amazon [/FONT][FONT=inherit !important]Kindle[/FONT][/FONT]
Apps (VZW)
Backup Assistant (All 5)
Blockbuster
Browser
Color
CQATest
Flickr Authenticator
Forest Wallpaper
Google Play Books
Google Play Movies
Google+
Guided Tours
Help Center
Home Screen Tips
Kaixin001 Authenticator
LastFM Authenticator
Let's Golf
Madden NFL '12
Magic Smoke Wallpaper
Mobile Hotspot
MOG Music
MOTOACTV
MotoPrint
Music Store
My Music
My Verizon Mobile
Netflix
NFL Mobile
Orkut Authenticator
Photobucket Authenticator
Picasa Authenticator
Quick Office
Slacker
Slingbox
Smart Actions
Smart Actions FW
Social Location (Breaks Smart Actions)
[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Swype[/FONT][/FONT]
Tasks
V Cast Tones
Verizon Login
Verizon Remote Diagnostics
Verizon SSO
Verizon Video
Video Calling
VideoSurf
Voicemail (Orange icon in the app drawer)(It's actually Visual Voicemail)
VZ Navigator

Last edited: