Will P3droid OC kernels work on Droid 2?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
No custom kernels will work on the D2 yet...

The bootloader is locked (encrypted) and until that is hacked we can't load any kernels.

So any ROMs built for the D2 at the moment do not include kernels, and we can't flash kernels separately either.

bizzshow

Reaction score
It has more to do with the efuse checking the Kernel that a Locked boot loader a kernel can be flashed but the phone won't boot it

allyouhave

Reaction score
Has any progress been made on this? I'm already overclocked to 1.3ghz, but I'm looking for a kernel (or alternative method) that has 7 slots for more customization with setCPU.

Ehhh?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its safe to say the efuse will be tough to get around. Many have tried and many have failed. Good things is people are still trying, bad thing is that we may all be using different devices before they finally crack it.

allyouhave

Reaction score
Well, while it's great to be hopeful, that sure doesn't help customize my setCPU in the now. :p

I was cruising around on the xda forums and saw something about kernel modules, which I know nothing about. Is there a way that I can use kernel modules to increase the number of OC slots I have at my disposal?

I'm going to guess that either a.) however OC'ing is achieved right now, it merely modifies the voltage and speed at each level, but is unable to add more levels or... b.) it rebuilds all the levels with voltage and speed. I guess either way, it COULD be locked at 4 slots, but... I want 7. So I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

Have you any knowledge on that?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Putting a D1 kernel on a D1 would probably fail -- but if you did succeed to get it on you'd have to send your phone to Motorola to fix. At a price. The efuse they built in is meant to refuse your kernel.

allyouhave

Reaction score
I'm going to assume you meant putting a D1 kernel on a D2 will fail... Because I see no reason for a D1 kernel to fail on a D1. >_>

NiceGuysFinishLast, not to be a creeper, but I got an email notification with the contents of your post before you edited it haha. Did you mean to say that I am absolutely stuck with 4 slots, or just that no one has successfully modified their kernel to run with 7?

Quite earnestly, I don't understand how more or less slots could affect the stability of the phone. If my processor can run at 125mhz, all the way up to 1.3ghz, then why can't it have 5 different speeds between the two? :/ Just confused!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Indeed. I'm typoing badly tonight. :)

The kernel determines the speed slots, so with only 4 slots in the stock kernel you're stuck. It makes no sense to me why they'd limit it so badly, though, when the D1 does 7 slots with half the processor speed.

allyouhave

Reaction score
Well dangit. :/ Guess I'll just be dealing with this 4 slot business as best I can!

Thanks for the info furbearingmammal. :]

Reaction score
I'm going to assume you meant putting a D1 kernel on a D2 will fail... Because I see no reason for a D1 kernel to fail on a D1. >_>

NiceGuysFinishLast, not to be a creeper, but I got an email notification with the contents of your post before you edited it haha. Did you mean to say that I am absolutely stuck with 4 slots, or just that no one has successfully modified their kernel to run with 7?

Quite earnestly, I don't understand how more or less slots could affect the stability of the phone. If my processor can run at 125mhz, all the way up to 1.3ghz, then why can't it have 5 different speeds between the two? :/ Just confused!

I edited it because I'm not sure it's true. I read it somewhere, but after I wrote it, I started thinking about it, and I'm not sure it makes sense. If that was true, we couldn't OC chips... But I swear I just read something recently that said there's only 4 frequencies the chip is designed to run at, and anything else could potentially be unstable. That's why setcpu only has the 4 options.

allyouhave

Reaction score
Ah, I see. I'm going to guess that there is SOME clever way to get around it, but no one has really looked into it yet. I mean, to most, OCing is OCing, you know?

Tapatalkin'.

allyouhave

Reaction score
Yeah, I did give Jrummy's a shot, but I missed having profiles for when my battery level gets below a certain point. :/ So I switched back. I might try it again in the future. Who knows.

Still only 4 slots though, and none of the extras were enough of a draw to keep me using it. For now.

Tapatalkin'.