Will I keep my unlimited data if I go from blackberry to droid?

mineman43

Reaction score
So I have a blackberry tour right now! Don't get angry, I've always been a droid person but it broke and had to temporarily used a BB. I am a secondary line on a family plan with unlimited data. If I get, say a Thunderbolt while extending my contract will i lose my unl data or will i be grandfathered in and keep my unl data! thanks!!!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should still be grandfathered in.

MIUI

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Actually, the Blackberry feature code is different from the unlimited code. That said, I doubt you'll be grandfathered.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
I came from a blackberry and my family plan didn't change. But again, I suggest check with the vzw store

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
A vzw rep told me, once u activate a smartphone to any line, it automatically charges the unlimited data to it

[ ] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[X] Motorola Xoom: Stock Root 3.2
[ ] Apple iPhone 3G: RedSn0w Jailbreak
Tapatalk

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I came from a blackberry and my family plan didn't change. But again, I suggest check with the vzw store
Your family plan may not have but your data plan probably did change as BB's have specific data plans. Any device can use a BB data plan (it's just a "regular" data plan with access to the BB APN). It's really more a matter of whether or not the carrier is enforcing the change.

jseah

Reaction score
Actually, the Blackberry feature code is different from the unlimited code. That said, I doubt you'll be grandfathered.

I believe they changed it now. Before there were Email and Web for Blackberry and Email and Web for Smartphones as separate data plans. From what I understand, when they went to tiered data, Blackberries and non-Blackberry smartphones are now all on the same data plan.

Detonation

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you will be. My friend wanted a Droid 3 (coming from a flip phone) but didn't want to have tiered data. So a few days before, he borrowed a blackberry from his work, activated with unlimited data, and then upgraded to the D3 when it came out and maintained the unlimited data. When he activated the BB, the rep knew what he was doing and verified he would keep unlimited data.

MsJones

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread! I have a D2 that's giving me problems so I wanted to temporarily go back to my BB Bold until I could make it to Verizon.

Funny thing is a VZW rep told my sister she couldn't go back to her BB Tour when she was having problems with her android phone. He insisted that the data plan for BB was coded different in the system and she would lose her unlimited data so she went without a phone for a few days until she got her replacement.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

VZW_CS

Reaction score
If you already have a Blackberry or any Smartphone and already have the unlimited data package, if/when you upgrade to another Blackberry or othe Smartphone(including Android), you are able to keep the unlimited data package. This is true even if upgrading from a 3G Smartphone to a 4G Smartphone. Below are some additional details. • Smartphone customers that currently have the Unlimited Data feature can retain this feature, if upgrading to a new Smartphone.• Upgrades from Feature/Multimedia phones to Smartphones require new data pricing.• New data pricing applies to new lines of service.You can also check out the data plans by visiting:Data Package useful tool is the data calculator. You can view this by visiting:http://www.vzw.com/datacalculatorI hope this information is helpful!^CBVZW SupportFollow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up. I am sure people looking to upgrade in the future, this explanation should calm some of the nerves of people not wanting to lose unlimited data.

JWellington

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up. I am sure people looking to upgrade in the future, this explanation should calm some of the nerves of people not wanting to lose unlimited data.

I agree! I can't wait to have unlimited 4G!

Swyped from my DROIDX from Tapatalk.

MsJones

Reaction score
Glad they posted that! I called Verizon due to some current issues with my phone. The rep also confirmed I could switch between android and blackberry phones and keep my data plan.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums